Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Arriving at Oahu

Good morning my darlings!  Sorry I have been less than regular with the postings.  I can't seem to sail to this state without coming down with some mysterious fever.  Yesterday, our day in Kona, I spent the whole day in bed with a fever and all the aches and whines associated.  Kyle went out and had a wonderful walk but didn't get many photos.  He did, however, get all sorts of drugs and useful nostrums for my comforts.  He is a man with his priorities straight!

The day before,Easter Sunday, we were in Kauai, and I did get a few photos.

We docked in Nawiliwili harbor, a very tricky harbor to negotiate with a narrow, twisty channel.  The pilots for this harbor earn their pay!!
Every time we go to Nawiliwili, I MUST go to the Twisted Turtles yarn store.  She has the most wonderful selection of fibers and colors.  Most are appropriate for hot weather, but still she carries wool, alpaca and cashmere because everyone has family in northern climes.








Kyle was especially taken with this notice.  And while I was in there shopping for yarn, he was going through a bowl full of pins with mottos like, "Come to the dark side.  We have yarn." and "I knit so I won't kill people."


The top skein is from the fifty%off table because, damn it, I can't resist a sale.  The next two skeins are from an independent dyer on the island.  That pink and yellow just sang my name so dulcetly!  And the aqua silk - how could I resist?

And then, there's a skein of lace weight alpaca in a blue that is perfect for Lynn Baker.  I'm going to knit her a scarf for Christmas.








One of the things you will see in Kaui is chickens.  Everywhere.  I got a photo of these Easter chickies in a parking lot. Then I walked up to them and picked one up.  I just bent over and gently closed my fingers around this downy ball of insouciance, lifted it up to eye level, feeling how fragile and warm it was.  It looked at me as if to say, "Yeah? What?" very calm and unconcerned.  Then the mother hen darted up to me looking worried and said, "Please may I have my baby back now?"  I put the little one down and he wandered off, peeping with his brothers and sisters.

6 Comments:

  • At 1:35 PM , Blogger Delighted Hands said...

    Awww, hope you are feeling better; I always get sick when we travel. You have great taste in yarn!!!

     
  • At 6:55 PM , Blogger Tim Young said...

    I hope you get better soon, I hate it when I'm traveling sick. I like the baby chicks and mommy.

     
  • At 10:25 PM , Anonymous Janette said...

    Hope you're feeling better today. I think the travel company should add extra days to your trip to make up your sick days missed.

    Love the yarn shop!

     
  • At 11:04 PM , Blogger Rose L said...

    Bet he bought a few of the funny pins. I would probably have been down on the ground trying to get photos of the baby chicks. Of course, someone would have had to pick me up! Maybe you should have brought a can of Lysol with you and sprayed the heck out of the room, including the air vents!!

     
  • At 4:39 AM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    Baby chicks!! I'm surprised mom let you pick one up and didn't peck you.

    Those yarn colors are amazing. There's something about color that just makes you smile. Ok, it makes ME smile. What a beautiful place Hawaii is.

     
  • At 5:07 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    Nice haul of yarn.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home