Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Wednesday, February 08, 2012

sticker shock

Took two cats to the vet today for checkup and distemper shots.  Paid the bill.  Brought the cats home and ate four chocolate chip cookies before I could get control of myself.  Why is comfort food so bad for you?  Why is pet care so expensive?  (This I can answer.  They have to pay the salaries of all those vet techs and receptionists and vets, and they have to pay the electric bills, and the insurance.  The medicine and syringes don't come free, and someone has to mop the floors - have you seen the price of mops lately?) Anyhow, I have been trying for a six weeks to lose weight, and I am down four pounds.  Whoop!  But I can't count on losing weight the week I host a knitting tea.  And then, there was the week we went to the Brazilian carnivore restaurant, and I pretty much reverted to my ancestral raptor persona.  -- I dunno how it is, but my life is just filled with feast days.  Why don't we celebrate with a nice bunch of carrots or a big glass of water?  Why does a sweet and milky cup of tea comfort so much better than a strong acrid black brew? Why is fat and sugar more celebratory than lettuce?

Now the kitties are feeling half crappy and it's all my fault.  They don't love me anymore at all today, even after I spent all that money on them.  And Friday I take old Candy in for yet another expensive appointment when she will be weighed and palpated and have her temperature taken again (How Rude!) and It will cost close to $100 before we even make the appointment for her surgery.  At least she is being good about taking her pills and antibiotics.  DH holds her on his lap and rubs her ear, and while she's blessed out, I shove the pill down her throat, and follow it with the squirt of the antibiotic.  Then her rubs her ear for another minute, and she forgets that she hates us all.

But we love the kitties, and we are responsible pet owners, so we fork over the $$ and get them their shots, even if they resent us bitterly.  I think God must have similar feelings about taking care of us stubborn, selfish, short-sighted humans.

Spring is on the way.  There are snowdrops in the front yard, the daffodils in the back are up a good six inches, and the Canada Geese are pairing up.  The big homogenous flocks are separating into couples, and the males are hissing at one another and sparring all over.  Love is in the air!

11 Comments:

  • At 10:22 AM , Blogger Willow said...

    I'm thinking now how I can find a way to celebrate with carrots and apples instead of chocolate chip cookies and lattes. And still feel celebratory. Not carrot cake and apple fritters.
    You are a most wonderful kitty mama.

     
  • At 10:55 AM , Anonymous Benita said...

    Because our kitties give us so much love and entertainment - and they make such wonderful hand warmers.

     
  • At 7:31 PM , Blogger Galad said...

    We love our kitties but they are expensive. Merry just was diagnosed with environmental allergies after $700 worth of tests. The vet says he is a high maintenance cat!

     
  • At 12:47 AM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    You are good pet parents, you really are. We need to get our kitties looked at, because they are neurotic and mess with themselves--they would be happier in a place with no children.

     
  • At 4:48 AM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    When we first got married (30 yrs ago), my new husband had what he called "the 50 dollar rule". If pet care was going to cost more than 50 dollars, we'd forget it.

    Fast forward 30 years and it costs more than 50 dollars just to walk in the door! If we get another cat, I think I'd seriously consider pet insurance (as silly as that sounds). I think my grandmothers would both be laughing at us.

     
  • At 4:59 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    Because cats don't care about money.

     
  • At 5:55 AM , Blogger Tim Young said...

    You are such good cat caretakers. I had a free cat exam coupon that I took to the vet so the last exam only cost us only $70.00 I'm not sure which part was free.
    Sweet fat and salty fat are the two major celebratory food groups.

     
  • At 2:19 AM , Blogger Lyssa said...

    My comfort foods are all about salt and fat - like biscuits and gravy, maybe with some chicken fried steak and a couple of over-hard eggs. The sweet stuff I'll eat when it's around, but cheddar and sour cream chips are my downfall.

     
  • At 9:41 AM , Blogger Acorn to Oak said...

    I hope your kitty feels better very soon. Yeah...I'm with you on those high vet fees...crazy, huh? But, it all makes sense with the costs the vets probably have. But, still, I count myself lucky if I can ever get out of there for under $100.

    I loved the part about celebratory food and wondering why healthy stuff just doesn't work. Interesting thought! lol

    Great post! :-)

    P.S. Thanks for the comment you left on my blog about dairy and stuff. I wanted to write you back but your comment had a "no-reply" on it and wouldn't let me. I appreciate you stopping by though. :-)

     
  • At 11:46 PM , Blogger Rose L said...

    You are such a good feline parent. They are lucky to be in your home!

     
  • At 11:57 AM , Blogger mplanck said...

    I have two kitties to go to the vet too. One for booster shots, and one to have a sebaceous cyst drained--again! But our kitties are so worth it, aren't they? BTW, here's to feast days, may they cheer us up when days are dark.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home