Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Saturday, January 28, 2012

cozies

Tim and Cindy gave me yarn for Christmas- Cascade 220 - in colors that I rarely use.  Nothing like something outside the typical palate to inspire a girl.  This is the brown side, with some color work in hand-dyed woo I bought becauseI don't use these colors.  I made up the patterns with my graph paper and color pencils.  It makes me think of vines.  In Blues and greys, it would look like waves.
And to my great delight, the hand-dyed yarn shows on the orange side as well, looking even more vine-like.  This was a fun, fast project.

It inspired me  - for the first time ever in a long knitting career - to think about double knitting.  I'm wrassling a practice swatch right now, when I should be knitting short-finger gloves for DH.  Bad Roxie.  No self-discipline.  (She smiles blithely.  Nope.  No discipline what-so-ever when the muses beckon.  La la la!  I'm learning and creating and duty will just have to wait.)

I am so enjoying hearing what people read while growing up.  I'm wondering if what we read shaped our adult selves, or if we were already shaped and reading what best pleased us.  I had older brothers and a literate father, so the boys books were much more readily available.  I had Nancy Drew, too, but compared to The Fantastic Island, and She,  Nancy Drew was mostly milk-toast.  Did anyone else read,The Bobsey Twins?  Slice-o-life from upper middle-class America circa 1930.  Wonder if the library has copies?

10 Comments:

  • At 9:55 AM , Blogger LA said...

    My grandmother had several of the Bobsey Twins books, and I read them when I would spend the night! I didn't know that anyone else had heard of them!!!! BTW, let the muses have their way!

     
  • At 6:06 PM , Blogger Galad said...

    I read the Bobsey Twins many times but preferred biographies. I always liked the Hardy Boys better than Nancy Drew

     
  • At 10:33 PM , Anonymous tlbw said...

    I didn't read the Bobsey twins or Nancy Drew, though I know they were around. My mother had 1920s copies of Little Women and Heidi, and I read those over and over, also a rather maudlin piece of American Victoriana called The Five Little Peppers and How They Grew. I remember much more about early reading (Newberry Award type stuff) than what I was reading around 12. I read too much classic adult fiction around 7th and 8th grade and it made little real impact - I knew all the words, but the life experiences of course weren't there. I don't know why no one gave me Jane Austen - it just didn't seem to be on anyone's radar. I found Jane after watching Lawrence Olivier and Greer Garson in Pride and Prejudice on the late movie one Saturday night. The rest is history...

     
  • At 2:13 AM , Anonymous Janette said...

    Very artistic beanies - the colours are wonderful!

     
  • At 3:06 AM , Blogger Maggie said...

    Cute hats! And from the title, I was expecting tea cozies, knowing your tea parties.
    I grew up reading everything my sticky little hands came across, but not Nancy Drew. I did read The Bobsey Twins, though. Beverly Cleary was more to my liking.

     
  • At 7:50 AM , Blogger Tim Young said...

    Wonderful colorful hat Roxie, the vine makes it pop.
    I grew up reading anything in the library that was about animals. Big Red by Jim Kjelgaard then anything by Jim Kjelgaard, then I discovered SCIENCE fiction. I couldn't get my face out of a book until I discovered girls in high-school.
    multrav

     
  • At 11:38 AM , Blogger sophanne said...

    Do I have this right? You start at the top of one, knit to the bottom, don't cast off and then knit from bottom to top?

     
  • At 12:40 PM , Blogger Lyssa said...

    I would wear the heck out of that tea cozy...if LA's weather ever required me to put a double knit layer of wool on my head, that is.

    I read some Nancy Drew, but she was a bit too clean-scrubbed and shiny for me. I loved The Island of the Blue Dolphins and Hatchet. I also devoured all the books leftover from my mom's hippie days - organic gardening, back to the land stuff.

     
  • At 12:22 AM , Anonymous Barb said...

    These are beauteous.

     
  • At 1:00 AM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    My mom has old Bobsey twins that she used to read-- yeah-- I used to love those! Also read Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys and Trixie Belden.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home