Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Good thing my head is attached

It's time to renew my driver's license.  so I drove to the express renewal office, but when I got there it was gone.  Oh yeah.  I saw last year where they had to close that office due to budget cuts.  So I drove home, and looked up the next closest office on the internet.  About twice as far away.  I drove out there, got in line, and when I got up to the counter the nice man said, "And you have your passport or birth certificate?"Oh yeah.  About two years ago we got that law making it mandatory to prove that you're really an American Citizen before you can get a state identification card (driver's license.)  So I drove home, got my passport out of the safe, drove back again, got back into line, twinkled at thence man behind the counter and displayed my passport, then proceeded to have my eyes checked, my documents verified, my picture taken, and my current driver's license punched.  The new license will be in the mail in about two weeks.  And I need to fill my gas tank.

I could have saved a great deal of time and travel if I had just read the full directions on the renewal notice, but I've been renewing my license for 40 some years now, and I thought I knew how to do it.  Things change.

Moreover, I have been listening to the Patrick O'Brian seafaring books.  Captain Jack Aubrey and Dr. Stephen Maturin, at sea against Napoleon.  Life on board a warship in the king's navy -- fascinating, horrifying, astonishing.  Based all on fact, woven in with rich, complex characters, and exciting, engaging story lines.  So, when I should have been paying more attention to the task at hand,  half my mind was on board a sailing ship on the way to China, wondering how they were going to manage with everyone coming down with scurvy. Talk about a window into a different world!  The 15-year-old midshipman gets his arm broken so severely that it might need to be amputated.  The captain writes home to the loving parents that the lad has done remarkably well in difficult circumstances, they should be proud of him, and they can take  comfort from the fact that not only is the ship's doctor "A capital hand with the saw," but also that it is the young man's left hand, so loss of it will not in any way hamper his career.

Things sure are different now.  Imagine sending your 12 year old son off to sea to make his living in the world.  I know 12 year olds that won't leave home to take out the garbage!

8 Comments:

  • At 6:36 PM , Blogger sophanne said...

    But I know some parents that would send him off in a heartbeat! Well, not really but sometimes maybe they wish they could. Let's just say that if the opportunity came up for me to write a reference for some of the eleven year olds I teach, I may not be disinclined to do so.

     
  • At 9:19 PM , Anonymous Billi-Jean said...

    Oh! I've been looking for audio book recommendations and these books sound great. I'm set to order "Master and Commander"; is that the first one? I hope I've got it right.

    Also, I've been meaning to tell you (for years - procrastinate much? lol) about my Sanna books. I bought them from Amazon pretty much as they came out and really enjoyed them. They were borrowed by friends. My teenage sister read them. I re-read them. Then, when we were preparing to sell our house, put everything in storage and move to India for two years, I had to cull my book collection (never got up the nerve to count how many books I have. Some things are better left unknown.) and I decided that all but a handful of my paperbacks had to go.

    I found a group of kids holding a used book sale to raise funds to buy clothes and household items for youth who are in the foster system but live alone (i.e. not with a foster family). I bundled the Sanna books to make sure they'd go together and hauled over my boxes and dropped them off.

    Someone I know bought them right away. She read them, as did her daughters (18 and 16). Then she gave them to her mother who lives in a retirement community. The mother read them, as did many of her friends there. Finally, they were donated to a library.

    I love that. Books have lives. :) You've touched a lot of people, Roxy.

    Right away I regretted giving away my Sanna books, so I was very interested to read about ebook options. Excellent :)

     
  • At 4:55 AM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    We went to a new system a few years ago. You need a birth certificate plus other forms of ID to renew. I'd understand if it was a new or transferred license but I've been driving here for 37 years. I needed to have a marriage certificate to prove my name (which has been my name for 30 yrs) is truly my name.

    Security is important, but this is a bit much.

    I don't know too many 12 year olds I'd want in the work force.

     
  • At 5:12 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    I have three more years before I need to renew my license.

     
  • At 9:13 AM , Anonymous Dave Daniels said...

    How odd the license renewal thing is from state to state. I renewed mine online this last time and it was an okay experience. No lines, no hassles, nada.

     
  • At 12:23 PM , Anonymous Benita said...

    I'm going to add those books to my wish list! They sound awesome.

     
  • At 3:30 PM , Anonymous tlbw said...

    P. and I tried to listen to the recordings of the Patrick O'Briens - he really loves the books as you know. Neither of us could tolerate the voice of the fellow reading them, and also found the dynamics of the recordings were poor - louds too loud, softs too soft. Unfortunatley this fellow also reads most of the Brother Cadfael series, and brings the same issues to them, as well as an overly folksy characterization of Cadfael.
    Ian Carmichael reading Dorothy Sayers is unbeatable. Edward Petherbridge reading the Joy Paton Walsh sequels is prety good as well. We love Carmichael's P.G. Wodehouse,too, though there is a Jonathan somebody who is excellent also. Barbara Rosenblat - or is it Rosenblum? reading just about anything is wonderful. Born in England and raised in America, she is the only person besides Hugh Laurie who really can do both accents credibly. And if you can still get them, Rob Inglis reading Tolkien is just brilliant.
    I love being read to...

     
  • At 12:55 AM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    Yeah-- and I k now 19 year old who are NEVER going to leave home! And I've got to tell you, that sounds like Chicken trying to get her permit. FIVE TRIP, and it was always frickin' something.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home