Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Friday, January 27, 2012

another quilt finished

MJ and I got together and used some leftovers to make a cheery crib quilt for Medical Team International.  We work really well together and design on the fly.   Fast and fun - just what I hope for the Piece-a-thon.  Getting lots of good responses already.  It's going to be a FUN birthday!


Dave asked how long it took to make the Aran sweater.  I had it at two different knitter's teas, so that means it took over a month.  I lost several good knitting days to second sleeve syndrome.  I get so annoyed with having to do exactly the same thing all over again that I just give the whole thing a time out.  Since I wasn't knitting, I was picking at my cuticles and chewing my fingernails.  When I got down to the quick I realized what was going on, bit the bullet, and finished that silly sleeve.  Then I whipped right through a stranded color work tea cozy - double-sided.  Now I am inspired to try some double-knitting for another tea cozy.  No seconds of anything there.  I also have some black sock weight alpaca for short-finger gloves for DH, but at least I have a 40" circular so I can magic loop and knit them both at once.  I do best with one project at a time. Well, andI  like to have something mindless to knit in the movies.  So two projects at a time.  I'm thinking of setting up a seed-stitch moebius scarf, but there really aren't any movies I'm dying to see in the near future.

BUT, When John Carter of Mars opens, I want to be there.  I read everything Edgar Rice Burroughs wrote when I was in my early teens.  He was terrifically prolific.  There was Tarzan, of course.  There was the John Carter of Mars series.  There was a series set on Venus and another series set in a wild hidden country inside the earth's crust (Pellucidar).  All with mighty, noble heroes and beautiful, succulent, noble heroines and all strictly PG but just voluptuous with sensory details. A great deal of my sense of How a Story Should Be was shaped by Burroughs, Jules Verne, and Rider Haggard.  Ripping tales from the turn of the past century.

Who did you read when you were growing up?

6 Comments:

  • At 7:16 AM , Anonymous Janette said...

    Gorgeous quilt! You guys are amazing.

    The only way I've found to get around SSS is to knit both at the same time. I'd never complete a garment if I knit each sleeve separately.

     
  • At 11:15 AM , Anonymous tlbw said...

    I can't remember when, if ever, I knit a sleeve as a separate piece. I grew up knitting top-down raglans, and then I realized with gansey-style pullovers and simple cardigans I could pick up the armhole stitches and work down on circular and dpns (an underarm gusset helps with fit).
    My mother used to knit sleeves flat to sew in, but after circulars came out she worked on them both at the same time on the long circular needle used flat. Easy to make sure they match that way.

    I basically just read everything in our very small school library. From earliest years (mid-50s)I remember especially the Laura Ingalls Wilder series. Later in grade school I remember reading Maud Montgomery (Anne of Green Gables, etc.)and then I got ambitious and slogged through Les Miserables and various Dickens in
    8th grade. As soon as they came out in the pirated Ace editions (sorry, JRR)my older brother sent me LOTR. That was the big eye-opener about the power of language.
    For some reason I didn't encounter the classic Bristish children's and YA books until I left home - but that meant I got to discover Barry, Milne, Grahame, Travers, Lewis, Mrs. Nesbitt,etc. in a massive orgy of self-indulgent reading in my 20s. I think I probably enjoyed them more that way in any case. That's also when I read George Eliot and Jane Austen (for the first of many times.) And now we know why you are a swashbuckling type and I am not...

     
  • At 1:40 PM , Blogger sophanne said...

    I read Kurt Vonnegut growing up. I bet you're not surprised.

     
  • At 7:19 PM , Blogger Rose L said...

    I was in love with horses when young and read all the Black Beauty book, as well as those by Walter Farley and others. I also loved the Lassie tv series.

     
  • At 8:42 PM , Blogger Lyssa said...

    God, I read everything I could get my hands on (and pretty much, still do). In the age appropriate category, lots of Laura Ingalls Wilder and LM Montgomery, with a lot of fairy tales, Black Stallion, etc. I remember checking out Frances Hodgson Burnett's A Little Princess from our school library when I was six, and my mom had to argue with the librarian that yes, I really could read it myself.

    In the age-inappropriate category, I pretty much learned about sex and violence by plowing through all of Jean Auel and Stephen King before I started junior high, along with some pretty raunchy period novels. Good times!

     
  • At 1:03 AM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    Gods-- the quilt is lovely-- and THANK you-- I did NOT know who John Carter was!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home