Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Thursday, February 02, 2012

Getting in touch with my inner recluse

I have not been getting out and about much.  Spending a lot of time with the sewing machine and the audio books.    Using up gifts and donations for the Medical Team International  I still have to tie this one, but it's the latest from my work bench.









And here's the back.  This is the technique/ design /plan I'm going to use for the Piece-a-palooza. You tear the fabric into 6inch strips, sew them end to end, to end, then cut the looooooong strip into pieces as long or as wide as the quilt you want to make, and sew them side by side by side.  The randomness dances gleefully through the work, and there's no way to do it wrong.
      As for the knitting, I have been taken with double knit.  Here's the sample swatch I did to figure out how she is done.  It's very important to keep the stranded yarns between the two sides of the fabric.  Being able to carry yarn in right and left hand makes it easier, but I'll never be able to do this while watching TV or chatting with someone.  It takes eyes, hands, and full attention.

This shows the other side as well Everything that is orange on one side is green on the other side, and the fabric connects where the colors change.  This would be great for wool potholders, tea cozies, or really thick hats.  A sweater out of double knit would be almost too heavy to wear.  The technique could be used rather handily to make a multi-pocketed tote, though - leaving the top sections of the work open.  Hmmmm.. .

Sorry for the oh so dark photos.  The cell phone isn't the best camera. (yeah - poor workman blames her tools.)

I did get out on an expedition yesterday,though.  A first time in my life sort of thing. My niece, who has children in their twenties, is getting married in December.  I have been out of touch with her for decades, and we recently re-established contact.  So she generously, lovingly invited me to join her on an expedition to find her wedding dress.  I have never been wedding dress shopping before, and I was thrilled!  Her half-sister came along as well,and we had a ball.  We pulled dresses here and there, then she came out and showed us - It was so much fun!  She would model one dress and we would say, "That's not bad." and make notes about the good and bad points.  Then she'd put on another, and another.  Then she stepped out and she was just glowing!  The dress was so flattering on her, and she even walked differently - like a princess!  She stepped up on the podium and tears came other eyes.  You just know when the dress is right.  Not only that, but she got a deal on it!  Woohoo!

The thing that surprised me, though, is that all - absolutely all of the wedding gowns are strapless.  You can buy a little jacket to go over your shoulders if you want, but your wedding gown will have no sleeves, collar or neckline if you buy it this year.  On the other hand, the silhouettes  are all over the map.  Ball gowns, hoop skirts, A-lines, mermaid, empire columns and, for the reception, trains that can be bustled up. Bustles, for cry-sakes!  Oh,and how many sequins, beads, artificial pearls and crystals gave their lives for those dresses?  Lace, ruched satin, feathers, chiffon, - there was one dress with enough tule to outfit a tribe of bee-keepers.  Anyone wearing that would look like the Barbie doll stuck into the top of the cake.  Just because I didn't see any, I started wanting cream-colored velvet with long sleeves, a draped neckline, and a simple straight skirt.  Maybe a satin belt at the waist.

And after you buy the gown, there's lingerie, (Gotta have a strapless bra and a long petticoat) and - accessories -  Oh, the accessories!  A tiara, a necklace, matching earrings and bracelet, gloves, and veil.  How long should the veil be?  How many layers?  What sort of edging?  Rhinestones, pearls, Spanish lace, swansdown? Tule ruffles?I had no idea!  Mom bought my first wedding gown when I was 18, though I didn't get married till I was in my mid 30s.  (And I was corseted into that sucker like Scarlet O'Hara.)  Then, when I married DH, I made my own hat, (Spray-painted a white hat pink, then sewed dark and light pink roses all around the crown.)The mother of the best man sewed my simple little raglan-sleeve pink silk dress with the elastic neckline. (I could weigh 300 lbs and still be able to get into my wedding dress!)  TLB made our cake (divine!) and we had the wedding and reception in our back yard.  It was SOOO nice, friendly, happy, celebratory!

So my niece has now to shop for lingerie, shoes, jewelry, and dresses for her four girls.  Four completely different body types and personalities.  We're thinking any style that suits the individual, and a unifying color.

But it was so wonderful to be an honored relative.  My eyes get damp just thinking about it.

5 Comments:

  • At 5:12 PM , Blogger Lyssa said...

    That sounds like fun! When we got married I made my wedding dress (a medieval style in dark green silk). Of course, I was still working on it the day before and had to have a friend help me sew the facings in while we went to get our rings tattooed. Our dads barbecued together at our backyard reception, and everyone had a blast.

     
  • At 6:19 PM , Blogger Willow said...

    I shopped with both of my girls for their dresses, and yes, when they walk out and then you KNOW it's 'the dress'. I think more prosiacally that people do the same thing about houses when they are looking to purchase one. Both times we sold homes, the realtors told us they knew before the buyers did because of how they acted.

     
  • At 4:46 AM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    I've never been wedding dress shopping either. My mother and I made my wedding dress. I have some fond and some not-so-fond memories of the process. I love the dress, just the right amount of lace and pearl buttons without being Barbie-on-the-top-of-the-cake. I used fresh daisies to attach my veil.

    God, I was young!

     
  • At 5:13 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    I don't get spending that much on a dress you wear once. Course, I also didn't spend hours and hours and hours planning my wedding either. So I guess I'm not the person to ask.

     
  • At 12:52 AM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    What a good day-- good for her, recognizing that you are the sort of family that one wants, and good for you, recognizing her inner princess!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home