Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Sunday, January 29, 2012

calling all carnivores

Do you expect to need your camera in a restaurant?  Wish I had taken mine yesterday.  We had dinner at the Brazil Grill (1201 SW 12th downtown Portland.)   You go through the salad bar, then the servers start coming around with grilled meat on skewers, cutting off slices as you request.  Tri-tip beef roast, mouth-watering tender lamb, chicken thighs marinated in cognac, mouthfuls of  fillet mignon wrapped in bacon, grilled shrimp, bacon wrapped chicken, linguisa sausages, and  cinnamon grilled pineapple that was the nearest my tongue has ever come to heaven.  It's an all-you-can-eat establishment - the servers wear mid-calf boots, black shirts, scarlet belts, and wide-legged black pants tucked into the boots.  Very dashing - gaucho look.  I really wanted to get a shot of the lad carving slices off the lamb.  BIG flashing knife and big flashing  eyes. Ahh- urge to tango!

Afterwards, we saw Hal Holbrook performing Mark Twain Tonight.  He's 85 years old and has been doing this show for fifty some years, off and on.  I imagine the makeup is a lot easier now.  It was enlightening and entertaining and impressive as hell. He took a nice long rant, in Mark Twain's own words,   about the stupidity, cupidity and venality of the members of congress and ended by saying that they should all "be put on the street as  a convenience for dogs."  Practically got a standing ovation for that.

Unfortunately, DH has this fabulous little cowboy butt, and the auditorium seats require the audience to provide their own padding.  He wound up in such pain that we had to leave before the end of the show.  Does anyone else have this problem?  How do you solve it?  He won't allow me to carry a cushion for him.

By the way, that color work object that you are all calling a hat (or two hats) is intended to be a double-sided tea cozy.  I don't make a hole for the spout and handle because heat escapes through those holes.  I just pluck the cozy off when I pour, then pop it back on to keep the tea hot.

I make these by casting on 100 (or so) and working a few inches of k2,p2 ribbing, then knitting to the shoulder of the pot and decreasing to a close.  Then I go back to the bottom, pick up 100 (or so) from the cast-on edge, and work the second half, closing to the top.  You wind up with a tube closed at each end.  Just tuck the one end inside the other, and pull it over your tea pot.  It keeps the tea hot for about two hours.

Did your mom let you have comic books?  I remember the first issue of Spiderman.  And pounds of Little Lulu, Archie and Veronica, Caspar the Friendly Ghost, Superman, Dr. Strange.  We spent summers at the cabin with no electricity, so we got to read anything we liked.  And having older brothers - well . . . I was reading Mad Magazine when I was six.  (25cents cheap)

7 Comments:

  • At 5:44 PM , Blogger Rose L said...

    I have seen small self inflating seat cushions which fold up to carry. It fits snugly into purse or bag (depending on size of purse).
    I have also seen fake butts!! That would add padding!

     
  • At 6:11 PM , Blogger sophanne said...

    Oh the Archie's I had. I remember play dates (they weren't called that then) where we "played" Archies for hours. I had an older cousin who had a closetful of mad magazine- I was about eight. I can remember dancing like crazy in slippery socks on the living room carpet when the eventual archies cartoon came on!

     
  • At 8:10 PM , Blogger Galad said...

    The restaurant sounds amazing. Making me hungry just thinking about it!

    I loved my comic books and read them repeatedly. Superman was my favorite series.

     
  • At 4:49 AM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    We have a restaurant like that here. We call it THe Meat Place (real name Picana). It's definitely a place to linger and eat (and eat and eat).

    I have almost a complete set of Bobbsey Twins books. My grandmother bought them for me one or two at a time when I was a kid. She thought I should have something other than cereal boxes to read! I read anything and even belonged to a book club for a while. I have a near complete set of The Happy Holisters (similar to the Bobbseys but no twins). They don't hold up well......

     
  • At 12:20 AM , Anonymous Barb said...

    What a quinky dink. We were at Holbrook's Mark Twain also. I stood at my seat during intermission, but I guess I didn't glow loudly enough for you to see me.

    I was impressed with Mr. Holbrook, but not so much his selection of work. About midway, I found myself feeling really depressed about all the negative happenings he iterated. Then I told myself...he's speaking about 1905 and things haven't fallen into the toilet yet...we probably have another 100 years before it all goes to smoke.
    We went to the Remodel show the next day and I found that more inspiring.

     
  • At 4:52 AM , Anonymous Benita said...

    My goodness that restaurant sounds great. I think they have one here in Indy - might have to give it a try.

    I used to hide in the back of my cousin's closet and read all of her comics. My parents wouldn't let us buy them, so I got my comic fix elsewhere. Loved Mad magazine, Richie Rich and Scrooge McDuck.

     
  • At 12:59 AM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    We went on trips in the car, and my folks used to buy comic books for us at every stop.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home