Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Friday, August 12, 2011

theme pink

My pink lilies are blooming, so this has set the theme for our knitting tea.  I'm fixing raspberry bar cookies, French scones (seasoned with Dave Daniels French herb blend - lavender, rosemary, and other yummy things) lemon blossom mini cupcakes, and salmon sandwiches on black rye bread with fresh dill.  TBW, the master baker, is bringing some delicious confection as well.  And tonight, DH is going to help me pick out a watermelon.  It was his idea to serve slices of cold watermelon, and I think it is inspired.  And he has a n ability to pick ripe, sweet melons that is almost mystic.

I can't tell you how wonderful people have been, offering to bring food, offering to help set up, offering any help I need.  The table is set, and I am going  into baking frenzy today.  Tomorrow, pick the lilies, plate the goodies, make the hot tea (iced tea, both black and peppermint, is  in the fridge) and the coffee, herd the dustbunnies under the bed, and revel in the party.

Now that I have the cast off, I can do so much more!  It's fabulous to have my hand back.  I'm still wearing a compression mitt to control swelling, so taking that off for bath time is a period of unalloyed sensual delight.

I am working on a cotton baby blanket and having a fabulous time playing with colors and stitches. 

And we had a cement pad poured in the backyard where we will set up a shade pavillion.  DH has been having a lot of back pain, but when he got home last night, he pulled out the instructions for the pavillion.  Then he pulled all the parts out and organized them.  Then he went into the garage and emerged with his tool kit saying, "Who am I kidding?  I can't just sit here and look at this!"  So there we were, him with a rib out, and me with a barely healed wrist, assembling the basic structure for this shade pavillion. And with only one false start, we put the bottom frame together last night, and went out for Subway sandwiches to celebrate.  The roof part is going to be a problem, because it takes four people to lift that sucker up and bolt it into place.  Whatcha want to bet that DH gets it fully assembled and ready to go tonight?

When the ladies come over for knitting, DH and several other husbands meet for breakfast.  They call it variously, "The Counter-Knitting Agency", or "the Liars Club."  I'm hoping DH can recruit one or two of these gents to give us a hand.

By next weekend, we should have the pavillion all set up with bug net and outside curtains and maybe even interior lighting.  Candles at least.  Wanna come over for a barbecue?

7 Comments:

  • At 8:28 AM , Blogger Heide said...

    The tea sounds delightful! If only the lively crowd I reside with didn't require so much attention tomorrow then I'd invite myself right on down to partake in the revelry. Hope that you and the Mr. didn't do too much. Cheers!

     
  • At 11:38 AM , Blogger Rose L said...

    Sounds like it will be a nice evening retreat!

     
  • At 1:25 PM , Blogger LA said...

    It sounds like you are enjoying your new freedom! Congrats on getting the cast off....but don't do too much too soon!!! The TEA sounds lovely...enjoy!

     
  • At 3:04 PM , Blogger Willow said...

    Oh, I would love to be there for the Pink Tea! And dinner in the pavilion :)

     
  • At 8:31 PM , Blogger The Fibers of Life said...

    Wishing you lovely tea. I hope you can use some of the dainties I gave you. My greetings to you all, wish I could be there too to knit and enjoy your wonderful company. Love you all.

     
  • At 7:39 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    Heck ya, I'll be there for a BBQ!

    Oh wait...

    Enjoy your tea.

     
  • At 1:19 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    You guys are soooo fabulous!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home