Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Monday, July 25, 2011

Street of "Affordable" homes

Dh and I enjoy going to these shows of homes that the builders put on.  Not that we intend to drop five hundred thousand dollars (This is affordable these days?) on a new house.  We are perfectly happy where we are.  But we go shopping for ideas and inspiration.  Robin's egg blue is the new color, with bark brown.  And there was one lovely bedroom in ecru, oatmeal, and charcoal with a painting of a poppy over the bed, a red vase on the dresser, and on the nightstand, a magazine with a red picture on the cover.  Don't know how long you'll want to keep a June, 2011 copy of Home and Garden Digest on the nightstand, but it sure gave the room some punch!

In the master suites, they are still installing huge tubs, but they are no longer the jacuzzi jetted types.  And, though it seems like madness to me, the builders are still trying to sell us on outdoor living.  OK, it's July 25.  People are still skiing on Mt. Hood, a mere 90 minute drive away.  When I went to get the paper this morning, at 5 AM, I was greeted by thunder and lightning.  This is NOT an area where outdoor living makes sense.  Really.  No matter how many fire pits and uber barbecues and stylish lounge chairs are scattered around, it's still too darn cold!

Another thing that makes no sense is the concept of rooms that no one will live in.  The "sitting room" just off the front door which is too small for any social event, and wayyyy too fussy for comfortable lounging.  I guess it's where you would seat Queen Elizabeth if she ever comes to visit.  Take the plastic off the chairs, first. 

And these "Great Rooms" with the twenty foot high ceilings - a pain to heat or cool of course.  And who wants to sit in a great draughty echoing chamber for a comfy family evening?  The only thing I can see those rooms being used for is big parties.  And how often do you have 40 of your closest friends over for a pleasant dinner?

On the other hand, I saw many lovely mud rooms off the garage with masses of storage space.  And several builders have realized that it makes sense to put the laundry on the same floor as the bedrooms because that's where most of the laundry is created anyhow.

But best of all is coming home to our dear home with our comfortable furniture, and our dated but satisfying color scheme, and being so grateful that we are not in debt up to our eyeballs!

10 Comments:

  • At 1:10 PM , Blogger LA said...

    It does make you appreciate what you have, right? I'm always looking for where the looms would go!

     
  • At 3:05 PM , Blogger mplanck said...

    I couldn't agree more with your assessment of building fads.I admit to making snide remarks as I watch House Hunting on HGTV. The houses with no apparent walls that extend into a lanai kind of verandah and are oohed and ahhed over by the prospective buyers. I think, yeah, I wonder how you'll like it when the rains start or the bugs migrate into the house! And those 20 foot high ceilings with windows to match. And multiple huge bathrooms to scrub. I snipe, saying, I hope you like housework, dear. Or, who's going to get the cobwebs down or wash the windows? Oh yeah, and change those lightbulbs! And (especially the one I recall set in Colorado), hope you don't freeze your whatchacallits when the temperature drops to 10 degrees or lower, and you're frantically trying to heat all that empty space (to say nothing of the glass windowed walls!) Nuff said. But couldn't help adding my 2 cents worth. :-) Alice

     
  • At 4:40 PM , Blogger Heide said...

    We had the pleasure of buying our over-priced 1986 rambler at the peak of the real estate market. The next year the market crashed and our $72,000 down payment wasn't even enough to keep up us from going upside down on the mortgage. I have no idea who builders expect will be able to buy these expensive homes. There are two new developments going in within a mile from us but there are so many existing homes for sale nearby that I can't imagine that even half of those being built will be occupied when finished... especially with the economy like it is. Pure insanity! There is no place like home.

     
  • At 4:43 PM , Blogger Willow said...

    I never could figure out why builders thought we should want a huge media room in the dungeon under the main house or as you mentioned a little sitting room for putting unwanted salesmen in to cool their heels.

     
  • At 5:10 PM , Blogger sophanne said...

    Neither the Queen nor 40 of my closest friends (and really- that number is like 38 people high) will be coming here this evening. The air conditioning in our little beach nest has gone kaput. I wish I could live like a grown up with charcoal, ecru, and oatmeal and a splash of red.

     
  • At 8:58 PM , Blogger Rose L said...

    I used to enjoy going to see those homes. I remember once they had a shower in one that looked like a space capsule with all the computerized gadgets in it and its shape like a very large capsule!
    Now if it could take me back a bit in time and be younger I would be all for it! My idea of outdoor living would be an enclosed gazebo that I could lounge in all year round! Windows for winter and screens for summer to keep bugs out and let air and scents drift through. Ahhh! And a comfy lounger...that is living!

     
  • At 4:44 AM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    My aunt came up with the idea of putting the washer on the floor where the bedrooms are and at the time (20 yrs ago) everyone thought she was crazy. I thought it was genius and still do as I schlep the dirty clothes downstairs and the clean ones up each week.

    Outdoor living makes some sense around here if it weren't for the mosquitos which have bloomed into great swarms this year. I'm not willing to nuke the yard with chemicals so we don't spend much time out there. We need to invest in a good screen house, one with one of those jacuzzis would be nice.

     
  • At 5:08 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    Its nice to look, but you're right, its better to go home with less debt.

     
  • At 9:08 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    Yup... purty to look at, but not for us!

     
  • At 10:50 AM , Anonymous Benita said...

    A place that is too cool to sit outside on July 25th sounds like a good place to live to me. Here, it's too hot no matter where you want to sit.

    I agree with you on the little sitting rooms off the front door. I've never seen anyone use them. Me? That's where my loom(s) would go!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home