Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

pink blankie

 I needed(!) to knit, and had some Aunt Lydia's Sugar and Cream cotton in "Knit for the Cure Pink," so, without a specific plan, I cast on for a mitered square.  It used less than a whole ball, and turned out kinda cute.  Why stop  with a washcloth when other square things are available.  I used to work with a young man who is about to become the father of a baby woman.  I could knit him a nice burp cloth!  Two and a half more squares later, I ran out of "Knit for the Cure Pink."  Without a second thought, I toddled off to Joanne's and bought some more varigated pink.  Unfortunately, not quite the same.  But close enough.  After finishing all 4 squares, I wanted to use up the end of the yarn, so I picked up around the edges and knitted around, increasing two stitches at the corner every other row.  That was nice!  I bought some more varigated pink.  Then it occurred to me that stockingette curls, so I wanted a nice flat stitch pattern,  And since it was headed toward blankie size, I decided to add in some white cotton I already had.  Knit  row all even- numbered rows with white, increasing a stitch at either side of the corner markers.  All odd numbered rows: k1, p1 all the way around with varigated yarn no increases.  Kinda purdy, ain't it?

It's a mite  small for a blankie, but newborns are kinda small too.  And the soft, machine-wash cotton should  be good for an August infant.

I can knit again!  Waaahhhooooooo!

What next?

12 Comments:

  • At 12:28 PM , Blogger LA said...

    WOW! Pretty great knitting for someone who hasn't gotten to knit for a bit! It is just perfect for a little girl!

     
  • At 10:23 PM , Anonymous Lisa Nowak said...

    Good to see you back in the saddle. :)

     
  • At 4:38 AM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    It's a perfect after bath sized blankie for a new woman!

    I remember the Doonesbury cartoon when the little girl says "It's a woman! Mom had a baby woman!"

    And take the knitting slow. You don't want to stress those still healing body parts.

     
  • At 5:17 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    Very pretty. And damn fast!

     
  • At 12:00 PM , Anonymous Benita said...

    It's purty!!

    And I'll bet it felt really good to work those needles again.

    When the baby outgrows it as a blankie, it can be a security blankie.

     
  • At 4:46 PM , Blogger Sheeprustler said...

    Wee, you can knit again! Very pretty. Love the reverse swastika effect :) (Which I believe is the original shape of the symbol)

     
  • At 2:13 PM , Blogger Rose L said...

    Now your world is perfect once more! You can knit to your heart's desire.
    Such a pretty baby blanket for a little girl--I knwo of one! :^)

     
  • At 11:19 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    Ooooh... it has all the makings of the perfect woobie-- well done!

     
  • At 8:48 AM , Blogger Lyssa said...

    Don't you love how projects that are supposed to use up stash always end with buying more yarn?

     
  • At 6:18 PM , Blogger Bobbie Wallace said...

    My young women friends with babies tell me they love those smaller blankets; they fit inside the car seat straps! And cotton will be lovely; it'll get softer and softer with every wash. And it'll be the perfect size for the baby woman to wrap her doll baby inside a few years from now.

     
  • At 9:06 PM , Blogger Galad said...

    Perfect for an August baby! So glad you can knit again

     
  • At 9:31 PM , Blogger Heide said...

    What a beautiful pink blankie! That is a lucky baby. Glad that you're back to knitting again.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home