Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Monday, April 21, 2008

Gopher war


They're back. It's the squirrel underground, damnit! Rodents united. The fuzzy-tailed rats have called in the foot-soldiers. They're probably ready to put the arm on us for the vigorish on the tulip loans. Am I babbling? Probably. When it comes to gophers, it's a battle of wits and I feel distinctly undergunned.
We used to have virtually no problem with gophers. My dear old red cat, Bertie Wooster took care of it. He wasn't a killer, though. He was more efficient. He would dig down to the tunnel and take a poop in it. And the gophers would leave the neighborhood. I miss that cat.
Tomorrow, the Yarn Harlot signs books in Portland. Woot!!

8 Comments:

  • At 3:29 AM , Blogger Bells said...

    is it wrong that I wish you would post a photo of a gopher? They sound cute.

    But the gardener in me is on your side. I promise. I've struggled with possums in the past so I get it. I really do.

     
  • At 8:12 AM , Blogger Lucia said...

    I don't suppose you could dispose of the cat litter by putting a scoopful of it (including poop) in each gopher hole?

     
  • At 10:16 AM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    We have a groundhog in our yard. At least I think it's a groundhog. We just call it the mammal. It has made a huge burrow that snakes under the fence into the neighbors' yard. Nothing we have done frightens it. We're bigger! It should be afraid!

     
  • At 11:59 AM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    ROFLMFAO!!! What a blessed, blessed animal... now THAT is pest control...

     
  • At 3:51 PM , Blogger the boogeyman's wife said...

    the only thing worse than squirrels is squirrels underground....good luck getting rid of them!

     
  • At 8:03 PM , Blogger Kate said...

    Those small rodent-type mammals are smart buggers. There's a large one in our yard that is immune to scares. We caved in the entrance to its Burrow of Death and it dug a new one. We have lots of hawks in the area, though, so I'm hoping that I'll go outside and find another skeleton, like the last mammal.

    Maybe you need to train some hawks to hunt out the gophers...?

     
  • At 1:25 PM , Blogger Willow said...

    We had raccoons and skunks in our yard in Oregon.
    Here we have lizards. I've seen deer around but not in my garden yet.

     
  • At 12:56 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Someone already had my idea of depositing cat poop in the gopher holes. Although I momentarily had the mental image of a person taking a constitutional in the gopher hole...LOL!

    So, no pic of you and the hat at the event?

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home