Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Sunday, April 20, 2008

I don't remember planting tulips

Does this look like a tulip to you? It sure looks like a tulip to me. And there are more of them scattered around our yard. Do you suppose there's a phantom gardener running around the neighborhood, secretely planting tulips in tulip-deficient gardens? Or perhaps there's a gang of tulip pushers. Your first tulips are free. Everyone's doing them. You can quit any time that you want. Then, when you get hooked, the dutch mafia will charge you $2000 for a Rembrant psychedelic bulb. And you'll be addicted, helpless to resist. You'll hang around florist shops, just jonesing for a hit of varrigated parrots.


They are kinda pretty, aren't they?



Yesterday, DH took me to the movies. I have to confess to a fondness for (she hangs her head in shame) martial arts movies. Especialy the historical fantasy ones. Guys in soaring across the tree-tops and knocking one another through stone walls. Delicate long-haired beauties who can throw a hairpin through a tree, and know seven ways to kill you with a fan, swirling through the sub-plots in rich, gorgeous costumes. Exotic scenery and splendidly choreographed fight scenes. The hero gets the crap beat out of him by eleventeen thugs, then does a back-flip out of the second-story of the palace, lands on the back of his horse, and rides laughing away with the scroll of mystic wisdom. The villian flares his nostrils and swears eternal vengence, then kills all his nearby minions in a fit of pique. YOU know the type of movie I mean. So DH, who loves me far more than I think I deserve, took me to see Forbidden Kingdom with Jet Li and Jackie Chan. I had SUCH fun! It was such a good movie that DH even enjoyed himself. There's a wonderful scene where Jackie Chan and Jet Li are fighting one another using different styles. Tiger style versus Praying Mantis style. Kung Fu versus Aikido. My ignorance is too vast to identify other techniques, but they were beautifully demonstrated. And, like any Jackie Chan movie, there was a lot of humor, even some slapstick. You just might enjoy this one.
Willow asked how to get copies my books. You can go to your local bookstore and ask them to order the books for you, or you can go to Amazon.com and order them yourself. Ask for Sanna, Sorceress Apprentice and, Sanna and the Dragons. And in a few months, you can also ask for Sanna Meets Dauntless Swiftsure. The author these three delightful novels is Roxanna Matthews. There's lots of knitting, spinning, action and humor in all of them.

10 Comments:

  • At 5:04 PM , Blogger Lyssa said...

    Cheers for surprise flowers! I would totally sneak tulips into other peoples' gardens :)

    Forbidden Kingdom looks like a lot of fun. We may have to go see that one soon.

     
  • At 10:26 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    Oh yaaayyyy!!! Another Sanna book!!! (Just in time for Chicken and summer vacation!!!)

    And I'm totally cracking up about the movie--Mate and the kids went to see that very movie and I was JEALOUS!!! And they told me I'd love it!!! (My thing is more for Jackie Chan and Jet Li, who are adorable.)

     
  • At 8:17 AM , Blogger Willow said...

    After I asked you about the books, Kiti told me she had seen them in Borders and B&N!

     
  • At 8:28 AM , Blogger Lucia said...

    You have tulips that you don't remember planting??? I can't get the tulips that I did plant to come up. Probably because the bulbs became deer snackies several years ago.

     
  • At 8:40 AM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    I would watch Jet li just stand there. He is quite comely. And I think I know where the tulips came from. My yard. (I know, I am in NJ and you are in OR) but I am sure it's not the dutch mafia but the squirrel mafia. Yep. They have stolen my tulips and sold them on the black market to the squirrels there. We planted lots of tulips and the squirrels (who love to eat tulip bulbs) ate most of them. There were only 4 left.

     
  • At 2:52 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Yay! Another Sanna! Talk about jonesing for something!

    And yes, it IS the squirrel mafia -- I have a tulip that somebody furry stole and planted in the six inches between the edge of my raised bed and the house. Very odd-looking! I'm sure the next-door neighbor thinks my garden sense is more than a little outre.

     
  • At 3:32 PM , Blogger Galad said...

    The surprise tulips are great. I wish they would grow in the desert but no such luck.

    You have now convinced me to go see the Jackie Chan and Jet Li movie. I was so afraid it might be a let down so am glad to hear you enjoyed it.

    I just got my second Sanna book and am looking forward to reading her continued adventures.

     
  • At 4:46 PM , Blogger TinkingBell said...

    I love tulips - but I never remember where they're planted - mine have naturalised and the beds get bigger each yesr - happy spring surprise (and I adore chopsocky! - I'll watch anything with Jackie Chan and Samo Hung - and Jet Li is fun too - I adored the series 'Monkey' - sometimes called Monkey Magic - and the best thing abou television in Japan used to be the 2 hours of crappy samurai movies between 4 and 6)!!

     
  • At 3:26 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I might have an answer to your mystery tulips: squirrels. My buddy Kurt as random bulbs growing everywhere, too. Late one summer evening, he noticed that the dyeing bulbs he had dumped from their pots into the compost were being re-buried/planted by the squirrels. He let them go, and now has tulips and daffs in the weirdest places.
    Squirrels; nature's little gardeners.

     
  • At 1:51 PM , Blogger Tara said...

    I liked the scene in the movie where they did battle under the flowering trees. :)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home