Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Saturday, July 21, 2007

A walk in the park

Portland's Washington Park is the biggest city park in the world. Do your city parks look like this? It is an immense wild space along the hilly border of the city, and is slowly being surrounded by urban development. None-the-less, it remains an enclave for deer, cougars, and survivalists who have gone a little too close to the edge and tipped over. MJ gathered her mom, her good friend Trish, and her good friend Roxie, and we took a hike in Washington Park.
Our hike was only a mile long, but we climbed 467 vertical feet. MJ and Trish are in great shape and led out with vigor. MJ's mom and I took a moderate pace and were grateful for one another's company. We paused often to admire the maidenhair ferns. And the mushrooms on the fallen logs. We listened to the bird song (when we quit panting) and we enjoyed the soft cool air on our skin.




MJ's mom, who lives in Southern California, had never before met a leopard slug. Toe of my size 9 sneaker is in the picture to give it a sense of scale. At the beach, I have seen slugs bigger than this. And banana slugs, though a mite smaller, are bright yellow. The slug is the state bird of Oregon. Oregonians don't burn in the summer. They rust.

Tomorrow, the Pittock Mansion - Street of Dreams, circa 1907.

5 Comments:

  • At 9:46 PM , Blogger Willow said...

    That trail is steep! John, Mia, Mike and I did it years ago and ended up at Pittock Mansion and peeked in all the windows. Thanks for the memory.

     
  • At 12:04 AM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    Steep--but so pretty. (I lug slugs, don't you?) Seriously--I could live in Oregon...if I could dump my upside down money pit here in Cali... It looks like a lovely time!

     
  • At 7:12 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Wow, that is such a neat park! That's amazing that it's remained untouched with that array of wildlife so close to an urban center.

     
  • At 6:24 PM , Blogger Warrior Knitter said...

    What a cool park. I love areas like that.

    But slugs?? ICK!! That one is prettier than the ones we have around here, though.

     
  • At 4:17 PM , Blogger Denise said...

    Wow, what an amazing park - and it's all so lush and green!! I'm heartily sick of the drought here in Oz... I used to have a pet slime mould, when I was at Uni. That's a pretty cool slug :)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home