Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Friday, July 20, 2007

FFO (Finally Finished Object)


OK, here, at last, is this quilt. Double bed size. Going to Medical Team International for disaster relief or for the orphanage they support in Romania or wherever they deem it most suitable.

And with the final assembly, I realized part of the reason it was taking so long. I had a quilt and a half worth of fabric to use up. So I made a laprobe or crib quilt as well. Is this flag-waving patriotic stuff or what? Red, white, blue, stripes, and, if you get really close, teensy stars.
Today, a friend and her mother have invited me to join them on a short hike, then a tour of a local mansion, then a picnic. The weather people are forecasting rain. I'm pulling together my day pack and crossing my fingers. Lessee, dry t-shirt, rain slicker, dry socks, bottle of water, wool shirt (It's predicted to reach a high of 72 today.) where's my Aussie "Digger" hat? I'm going to be the puny wuss of the group, so my friend may wind up carrying my pack if I get too pooped. She's one of those awe-inspiring women who exercises daily, can do chin-ups, and is slim as a fourteen-year-old boy. If she weren't such a dear, I would hate her with bitter envy.
Tomorrow, DH and I are headed across the pass to attend the Empress again. (Visit my Mom who lives with my oldest brother.) They will be up at the cabin for the day, so I should be able to get some nice photos - if no forest fires start in the area. My brother, his wife , and mom used to live at the cabin year round. Several years ago, a fire swept through, burning so fast that when the wind turned, the same fire had lots of fuel left to burn back across the property. It was pretty appalling, but nature is coming back. The cabin was a perfect example of fire-proofing, with wide green lawns around it, no overhanging trees, a metal roof, no firewood piled up next to the walls. When they were evacuated, they left sprinklers running against the house itself to keep it, and the ground around it wetted down. The sprinklers quit when the power went out, but it helped. And the fire fighters worked like heroes (Successfully)to save the place. but the property suffered heavy damage. I'm looking forward to seeing how much it has improved. I may not have time to post on Saturday, so I'll check in on Sunday. Good weekend, all!

5 Comments:

  • At 11:00 AM , Blogger Willow said...

    It's gotta be Pittock Mansion and hiking through Washington Park, right? Love that walk!

    about retired-ment-- still gotta earn a little bit for health insurance and car insurance and yarn.

     
  • At 2:53 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    The quilt's rock, enjoy the hike, and Goddess save the Empress! Seriously--hope the family is well, and I look forward to the pictures!!! Good weekend to you!

     
  • At 5:56 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Wowsa, very nice quilts. But Roxie! Warm rain and you're taking a rain slicker? I'm shocked, shocked! ;) After all, you'll have the dry t-shirt and socks... ::runs for the hills::

    Have fun and enjoy the family visit! Crossing fingers for no lightning or careless campers, etc.

     
  • At 11:23 PM , Blogger JulieLoves2Knit said...

    Hope you enjoy your trip to the sunnyside (Not that sunny today!)

     
  • At 6:22 PM , Blogger Warrior Knitter said...

    Love the quilts and the colors. Does it take you long to figure out where the put the colors? I'd have to lay them out and play with them until they settled into where they wanted to be. Takes ages, sometimes. I guess that's why I haven't quilted in ages.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home