Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Friday, March 30, 2007

the latest orphan sweater



Mostly mindless garter stitch. CO 100. Knit till body is long enough. BO 25, k75, turn

BO 25, K50, co 25, turn.

k75, co 25, turn

knit even on 100 st till sweater comes to back of neck.

k48, bo 4, k48. Knit back and forth on 48 st till a few rows longer than back of sleeves. BO Repeat on other side.







you wind up with this shape. Fold on the dotted lines and sew . Makes sense? It's based on a poor-man's coat from the middle ages.






Since Miz G and I headed out to a coffee shop in the lys for our gossip session, I HAD to wear something handspun. I'll figure how to make the sideways photos stand up straight one of these days.

Wishing everyone a wonderful weekend! Happy trails, y'all!
Willow, near as I can tell, Scandenavian knitting usually uses 2 or three colors in the whole sweater whereas Faire Isle uses lots of colors. Scandenavian style usually features a large motif on a yoke, with a small motif on the rest of the body and sleeves. Faire Isle knitting uses one motif in repetition along an entire stripe of patterning, but Scandenavian knitting may , for example, insert a large snowflake across several rows of repeated hearts to accent the center of the yoke.
Anyone else have input on this? Thanks, friends. And Willow, good luck on that Master Knitter's Certificate!

5 Comments:

  • At 12:01 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    That Scandinavian coat thing is OUTSTANDING!!! (Maybe that's just your pose, but I don't think so:-) Nice history lesson--I love knowing stuff like that!!!

     
  • At 2:20 PM , Blogger Lucia said...

    The garter-st sweater is so clever! But I want details on the Scandinavian coat. Is that two pieces or one?

    Thanks for your kind words on the scarf! I'm going to have to reprise the end of it so I can describe how I did the border (and maybe even find a better way to do it, since it came out a bit wonky, truth to tell).

     
  • At 2:36 PM , Blogger Willow said...

    Thanks, Roxie, for the information. Is there any connection with Bohus sweaters from Sweden; they use purl stitches as well as knit. I think my hat is traditional fair aisle... (little note on Freudian slips: I kept typing Fair Isle Hate instead of Hat when I wrote up the pattern. Which is funny b/c I enjoy fair isle, just not in pressure situations.)
    Thanks for the encouragement!

     
  • At 2:38 PM , Blogger Willow said...

    Wanted to tell you I LOVE LOVE the sweater! You carry that stunning pattern so well with your height. Right out of a Vogue picture spread.

     
  • At 6:27 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    What a beautiful vest!! The long lines and the v-shaping are very flattering and the colours work so well together.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home