Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Monday, March 19, 2007

a sick husband garnereth much knitting

It's neurotic of me, I know, but when DH is laid up, I like to stay with shouting distance. So while he spent the weekend sleeping (his sure-fire solution to most illnesses) I spent the time watching Northern Exposure CDs and knitting.

The SU&KI sweater is down to the duplicate stitching now. I had to take out the first row four times untill I figured out that I had made diamonds with an even number of stitches in each, so a single line of duplicate stitching was bound to look lopsided. DUH! I used up pretty much all of three skeins of that wonderful blue color, so I did the bottom band in the striated grape. I'm eyeing my leftover 1/3 balls and wondering what else I can do with them. A matching hat? A happy striped scarf? Hmmm. Actually, there's enough yarn to do a Fair Isle vest . . .



Here we see the progress on the Purple Iris socks. A few stitches here, a few stitches there, it adds up. The black thing behind the sock is my calendar, also known as my brains. If it doesn't get written down in there, forget it. This book is my memory and my organizer and my day-planner, all for $7 a year. I used to have a memory that handled everything for free, but I lost it somewhere.






While sitting and knitting, I kept hearing a sound like a furious lawn-mower dopplering back and forth past the house. Finally I got up to see what it was. One of the neighbors has a chopped Harley pocket bike. Isn't that the silliest thing you ever saw? Boys and their toys! I think I made him uneasy with my camera. The pocket bikes are not street legal.

Another neighbor has a hobby Harley. He can't get it to run, so his hobby is tinkering with it. Every time he gets it started, it's so loud that the whole surrounding four block area knows about it. And DH will shout, from wherever he is, and in spite of whatever he is doing, "The timing is off!" Then the bike chokes to death, and silence reigns. Knitting is a relatively quiet hobby (obsession.)

8 Comments:

  • At 9:35 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    WOW!
    I LOVE THAT SWEATER! I can't believe how fast you got it done, but you've really outdone yourself. It's great. Now I want to try doing a sideways knitted vest that's been on my mind. Can't wait to see it on you.
    How about a small neck purse/little bog on an iCord kind of thing? You know, one of those cute little accessory things?

     
  • At 9:36 AM , Blogger Lyssa said...

    Sure, I believe you. You're doing it all for the husband, not the uninterrupted knitting time.

    I hope he's feeling better soon.

     
  • At 8:04 PM , Blogger Willow said...

    Lovely sweater, Roxie!

    I vote for scarf. That sweater is asking for a scarf.

     
  • At 8:20 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Kerwyn isn't a demanding patient, but I'm the same way - I want to be here just in case he needs something (and decides to ask for it).

    If you really want some argyle stripes you could do some deliberately off-center lines - like a drunken argyle.

     
  • At 9:29 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    The sweater is GORGEOUS--damn, sweetie...there are just no words...and DH and Harleys is just priceless...(The timeing is off...sputter...hee hee hee...)

     
  • At 10:27 PM , Blogger Janette said...

    The SU&KI is looking fabulous Roxie. How very clever and patient you are.

     
  • At 8:26 AM , Blogger Lucia said...

    Socks! The sweater wants matching socks! (Even if only you know how put together you are.)

    Jack is quite the handsome kitty.

     
  • At 6:08 AM , Blogger Saffron said...

    That sweater is amazing! It's so cool to see how Dave's colors work together!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home