Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Saturday, March 24, 2007

SU&KI is done!







At last, the argyling has been duplicate-stitched on, and c'est fini! I got our favorite waiter at Sully's cafe to take the picture today. DH is having an old boys breakfast meeting. (That dark spot in the corner of the pink square is water. It's raining today.) (Doesn't that blue turtleneck do amazing things for my eyes? Dynomite blue, Dave!!)





















This is the yarn I have left over. There's another whole sweater here. I'll have to dwell on designs and patterns.































After I finished the sweater, and having finished my Western Romance, I celebrated with a little spinning. I found this fiber in my stash and puzzled over why I had purchased it. It's subtle, understated, muted and sophisticated. In other words, it's clearly not me.





Then I looked closer, studying the fiber content and the great ah ha struck. It's alpaca, angora, coridale and tussah silk noil.












It was heaven to spin! it felt sooo good sliding between my fingers. And what a luscious soft yarn it makes! All you master spinners out there who produce fine, even, smooth and beautiful yarns are free to compliment me on the quality of my yarn models.



The color of this yarn is called, "Thundercloud."
What to make with it?
Five ounces - not big enough for even a vest. Fluffy / thick-and-thin - not really appropriate for lace (And I hate to knit lace anyhow.) Suitable quantity and texture for a scarf. Who do I know that would like a soft, violet-hued scarf? Hmmmmm . . . I'll have to think about this.

11 Comments:

  • At 11:39 AM , Blogger Cookie said...

    Love!

    How truly fab, Roxie. Well done! And I agree about the turtleneck. :D

    Lovin' the spinning, too.

     
  • At 1:57 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    That sweater looks So fabulous! I can't believe it's all my yarn. Amazing. Truly amazing.
    And, yes, I can see it's raining outside. And I could just reach over and slap that woman in the background in the store bought green jersey. I don't know why, just because.
    I hope you're having a wonderful weekend.

     
  • At 3:18 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    You did a fabulous job and the sweater absolutely suits you to a T!!! You do have a lot left - 5 or 6 pairs of socks to match the sweater? hee hee

    Not that I know much about spinning but I think that the yarn looks wonderful. Maybe a cowl a la Magical Knitting (Cat Bhordi)?

     
  • At 6:24 PM , Blogger Lyssa said...

    Congratulations on finishing it! It really looks good on you.

     
  • At 6:51 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    I especially like that pouty, show-my-tongue-to-the-world look on that bottom yarn model--very sophisticated...

    The yarn looks scrumptious, but it's got some stiff visual competetition with that FANTABULOVELIOUS sweater. You're really on a roll!!!!

     
  • At 8:11 PM , Blogger Warrior Knitter said...

    Love the sweater! How cool that it started life as a vest back in February and now is a beautiful sweater. Love the colors and how you put them together.

     
  • At 6:04 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hi Roxie -
    Congrats on the western romance - What is our Micah's last name - I'm remembering the classic Warren Beatty / Julie Christie film, McCabe and Mrs Miller... was it an early Robert Altman?
    It was nice to have the first couple days of spring really be SPRING...must be a good omen for something...the equinox marks what is probably the oldest Indo-European New Year observance, Nu Rooz (Spelling will vary of course, since I don't use Farsi...) probably it is even pre-Zoroastrian. It is also the New Year of choice for Bahai, Kurds, and Sufis, among others. Apparently the Islamist goverment of Iran has attempted, without success, to suppress the observance. This seems to be the origin of the colored egg / spring festival connection, as well as fire-leaping - oh those daring Parsees! We've got a couple weeks til Easter, but Happy Eostre, or Oestra ( the accepted Wiccan/Pagan designation for the vernal equinox) - and New Day - the meaning of Nu Rooz. ( FYI, the festival goes on for 13 days, so through Monday week - equinox was actually eve. of March 20 PDT...)
    Tamara

     
  • At 7:50 AM , Blogger Willow said...

    What a gorgeous sweater! Just the thing to cheer up a rainy Portland morning.
    Love the yarn, esp the bits of silk tufting. As for color, if you don't like it, why don't you dye it? All that silk will soak up the color first and you'll have a vibrant variegation.

     
  • At 10:00 AM , Blogger Yeah So said...

    It really looks great! What an accomplishment.

    That thundercloud yarn would make a pretty spring wrap - a big lacy rectangle.

     
  • At 6:21 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    WOW! A whole sweater out of Dave's wonderful yarn! It's beautiful!

    /running off to work feverishly on my dave socks

     
  • At 5:19 PM , Blogger Saffron said...

    It's so cool to see how Dave's colors can work so well together. It's a beautiful sweater! :)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home