Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Thursday, March 29, 2012

After the test

The Jeopardy on-line application test was interesting.  Everyone had to log on at the same time, then we had 50 questions with 15seconds to answer each one.  I don't know how well I did.  I didn't waste time trying to keep score.  And since we had to type the answers, there was no nonsense about phrasing them as a question, but since my typing skills are less than stellar, I sometimes got five letters into an answer, and the time was up.  Worst of all, they will never ever tell anyone anywhere at any time what you scored.

What they do is take the names and addresses of the people who passed and put them in a pool of possible contestants.  Then they randomly select names, contact people, and invite them to a live interview in one of five different cities around the nation.  The best one for me is Los Angeles.  If I get invited, I will fly down for screen tests, practice with the signal button, and practice games.  If they like how I perform, and I like the process, then we will arrange for a date for me to show up and play the game on TV.  And I will, by God tell everyone I know about that date and make sure that you ALLL are watching!

Thanks for wishing me luck.   It helped.  Sometimes answers leapt out of the morass of memory like well-trained retrievers with ducks in their mouths.  When it came to words, meanings, definitions, I had a pack of English Spaniels in eager attendance.  When it came to science, geography, recent history, I had a couple of clever Irish Setters.  When it came to sports - well, that dog wouldn't hunt.  When it comes to sports statistics, my retriever is a senile Chihuahua with bad teeth, lumbago and dementia.

But the test was fun, it was free, and I think I'll do it again next year and the year after that and the year after that . . .  

I know many people would no more take a test for fun than go for a nice long root-canal without anesthetic.  I just don't have that problem.  The last time I had test anxiety, the rabbit died.  Compared to that, a little intellectual exercise is no big deal what-so-ever.  And if you don't pass this year, take it again next year.  Life will go on!

8 Comments:

  • At 4:07 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    "The last time I had test anxiety, the rabbit died." SNICKER-- Yeah, I failed that test four times...

    I really hope we get to see you on the show. SO exciting.

     
  • At 6:14 PM , Blogger Acorn to Oak said...

    Sounds like fun except the part that you don't get to know how you did. Good luck though. I hope you hear back from them! That would be really cool! And, the intellectual exercise is always a good thing! :-)

     
  • At 6:59 PM , Blogger sophanne said...

    Lumbago, root canal, the rabbit died. Oh you make me laugh and laugh. Just when I think "there's the good line of the post," you pop out another! You are my second blog friend to take the Jeopardy challenge. There's something to be said about picking good blog friends. Smart funny people, unite!

     
  • At 9:52 PM , Blogger Rose L said...

    I hope you did better than I did on the practice test. I only got 3 right and the rest had me sitting with with a puzzled look and drool at the corner of my mouth. In other words, I was stumped!

     
  • At 5:00 AM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    Jeopardy is easy when you're sitting at home on the couch. I have a sinking feeling I would freeze (I don't do well in front of crowds).

    I used to play online Family Feud against a host of unknown players. You had to be fast and type accurately but it was fun. I even won once or twice.

     
  • At 5:23 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    I hope you get the invite, I just know you'll do great.

     
  • At 4:36 PM , Blogger Orice said...

    Hope you get picked to go, Roxie! I'll keep my fingers crossed.

     
  • At 1:51 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Brilliant. I think you're brave. It would be fun to take just to wake up the two brain cells I have. I'm shocked they interview and go to such lengths to practice with the button. I figure you just showed up and got in line. No wonder all those folks seem smart, they've been juried. I hope you make it, and if not, we'll play Jeopardy at home with you for practice.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home