Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Sunday, March 25, 2012

Date night

I think I have mentioned the clever McMenniman brothers before, who have been buying up vintage buildings and turning them into whimsical, terrifically successful brew-pubs.  One of their enterprises is the old Bagdhad Theatre, a relic of the 30s which had fallen on hard times.  They cleaned it up, respected the bones, built a pub in the front and run the theatre in the back.  I wanted to see the movie, Hugo, but we never got around to it when it was t the cineplexes.  Yesterday, I noticed that it was playing at the Bagdhad, so DH and I had a saturday night movie date.  thetheatre is set up with couches and armchairs in the balcony, with narrow tables in front of them, so you have someplace to set your beer and pub-grub.  Three dollars to see a second-run movie on the big screen with all the comforts of home.  DH had the original burger - quite tasty, with fries made from real potatoes - not those mashed, rehashed approximations that the burger stands sell.  I had a meal called the 3 faces of Eve.  Pita bread served with humus, a walnut/pomegranate compote, and a yogurt and feta dip, with pickled veggies and olives as well.  It was delicious, filling, healthy, cheap, and went perfectly with pitcher of their Ruby beer.

All the McMennamin pubs have fanciful murals on the walls, but the Bagdhad theme seemed especially appropriate for this approach.  I wanted to get a shot of the multi-color border stenciled in the ladies' room, but it was too crowded to stand far enough away from the wall.  (Small room, many moms with kids.)

I have developed a yearning to visit every one of the far-flung McMennamin's empire.  Today, DH and I stopped at the convention center and picked up a fistful of brochures to send friends who will be visiting in Sept. to help them decide what to do.  I picked up a pamphlet with all the brewpubs listed and described.  This is a feat which might, in fact, be achieved.







And here's another hat. Crochet goes so fast!
         

7 Comments:

  • At 5:59 PM , Blogger Acorn to Oak said...

    That place sounds awesome! I've been hearing of places like that opening up but haven't seen any around here yet. I hope we get something like that someday. It's a fabulous idea!

    Wow! Another hat! You're a hat making machine! Very cute!

     
  • At 8:09 PM , Blogger Lyssa said...

    Movies sound like much more fun with pub-grub and beer. We have been going to our second-run theater a lot for cheap date nights, but it isn't nearly as cool as that!

     
  • At 10:44 PM , Blogger Rose L said...

    I love the round painting with the moon on it! Cool!

     
  • At 4:44 AM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    What a fun date night! And what a clever use of older spaces. I love to see their charm restored and maintained. The modern buildings might be convenient but their comfort is cold and hard.

     
  • At 5:39 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    Some of the movies coming out now days are better with beer!

     
  • At 8:08 AM , Blogger Willow said...

    What a worthy endeavor--to support local business-- and all the better for the beer.

     
  • At 4:03 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    I LOVE that idea for local businesses-- too fun!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home