Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Sunday, August 28, 2011

keep on rollin'

So the knitting keeps on rollin'.  A baby Surprise jacket which turned out to be more of a surprise than I expected, because the white worked up to a significantly smaller gauge than the turquoise, hence the lifted hem.  But it has a certain cachet, and it was a learning experience.  Now to find buttons, and it goes into the box for the orphanage.
And here we have the starting point for another "Keep on rolliln'" experience.  DH and I took a 6 mile bike ride today.  Our city is so bike-friendly that they will close off entire neighborhoods to vehicular traffic, and open the streets to the bikes.  We took the route that circled the Hawthorne neighborhood.  As you can see, the weather was perfect.  And the streets were thronged with cyclists.  We saw two guys riding really tall bikes - the seats were about 9 feet off the ground.  We saw scores of parents with kid-tandem bikes, towing littler kids in trailers.  There was one little guy, about 4 years old, on a little bitty bike with training wheels, and dad was following behind in his in-line skates, calling advice and encouragement, and when extra speed was needed, bending over to put a hand behind the tiny bike seat and be the booster rocket.    And there was - this was so cool and I WISH I had gotten a picture of it, --  two guys riding bikes inside this big cage contraption.  The bikes were side by side, and the cage thingy was welded to them so they moved in perfect synchronization down the street.  And when they built up a good speed, the two guys would both hit the front brakes at once, and the whole contraption, guys and bikes and all, would do a somersault!  The whole crowd squeed over that.  And, nonchalent as can be, they just pedaled away.

It was a fun time.  DH coaxes me into adventures I would NEVER try without him.  I'm beginning to understand about the fun of bikes.  But riding in a crowd isn't all that much fun.  It was when the crowd thinned, and we had the streets free from cars that I enjoyed myself.  Downhill is even funner than up.

On Friday I went back to the fracture clinic and got approved to go brace-free.  YAY!!  I tell you, this broken wrist thing is just as much fun as it's cracked up to be. 

And I gained a certain sense of sympathy for dirty old men.  Just a bit.  The doctor who looked at my wrist this time was - OMG yummy!  Honey blonde, fit, trim, beautifully groomed beard and mustache, and drown-in-them nordic-blue eyes.  But I knew how unacceptable it would be to say, "Wow, did I win the lottery?  I bet they call you Doctor Hunk-a-licious." 

Blessings and good wishes to all my friends in Irene's way.  Stay dry.  Hug the people you love.  We're praying for you.



6 Comments:

  • At 5:02 PM , Blogger Willow said...

    I love riding my bike! We were out yesterday riding along the beach esplanade in Ventura. I nearly ran over three people and a stroller who walked right out in front of me and NEVER LOOKED. Fortunately, my brakes work. Go, Roxie, Go on your bike!

     
  • At 5:23 PM , Blogger LA said...

    The yummy doc is your reward for a great recovery!!!! Your bike ride sounds like fun.

     
  • At 6:37 PM , Blogger Heide said...

    I wanna see Dr. Hunkalicious too, but without breaking anything! So glad that you're now brace free and that you and your DH enjoyed a carefree, healthful day of fun.

     
  • At 8:32 PM , Blogger Tim Young said...

    It was a beautiful day for a bike ride, but I wasn't feeling up to it, so I walked the Hawthorn st. fair instead. I'm glad your finally out of the brace. Their never fun but especially not in summer.

     
  • At 5:59 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    I so know how you feel. You can call me Ms. Hart, the guy we have in our department... I'm glad I don't have to share a cube with him, otherwise I'd never get any work done.

     
  • At 7:46 AM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    Okay-- I'm squealing about that metal contraption too... how very very cool! And good for you, taking an adventure! (I love the ultra-surprise jacket!!)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home