Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

The cabinet

 The file cabinet, assembled and filled.  I spent the whole of yesterday sorting through files, and shredding masses of crap.  Electric bills from a house I no longer own.  Credit card receipts from a bank that has been sold twice, changed the name once, and had all their data hacked so they had to issue everyone new cards.  14 year old checks and pay stubs. Christmas cards from strangers.  (If you sign, "best wishes, J & T." don't be hurt if people don't remember who you are.)  Then I  went through the multiple copies of manuscripts that I have, saved one of each, and took the rest out to the garden.  I have found that if you pull weeds and lay paper on the bare soil, about two inches deep, it makes the weeds feel unwelcome. 









So one corner of my officce is shaping up quite nicely.  Love the roll-top desk!  Hides a multitude of sins.

So one corner of my office is shaping up quite nicely.  Love the rolltop desk.  It hides a multitude of sins.  The big basket is a catch all which will be sorted about twice a year or when it overflows - whichever happens first.

Tease me all you wantg about my new offiicewerks.  For most of my adult life I have made do with bricks and boards, and leftover, secondhand, Goodwill rejects because I am too cheap to get anything better.  But DH wants me to have nice, and gee, nice is worth celebrating!

So, does anyone want a sturdy, ugly, 5 drawer metal filing cabinet?  Low mileage - last owned by a little old lady who stored a lot of useless paper in it.  All you have to do is come and pick it up.

8 Comments:

  • At 9:50 AM , Blogger therese patrick, author said...

    I love your new office. Trashing tons of stuff made me feel lighter as I did it earlier this year.

    Thanks for the tips for old manuscripts. I knew it worked with newspapers but I no longer have those. I do have stories under the bed that will never see the light of day so letting them decompose into the soil is a great way to recycle.

     
  • At 11:36 AM , Blogger Rose L said...

    WOW! What an improvement! If you put the file cabinet at the curb it will disappear.
    One person I knew put out some tires at the curb with a FREE sign and they were there several days later. Then he changed the FREE sign to one that said TIRES $!@% and they disappeared overnight! LOL
    Way to get rid of stuff and avoid the dump!

     
  • At 12:41 PM , Blogger Willow said...

    I have a nasty metal four drawer cabinet and would to replace it with a two drawer wooden model. Hmmmm, and a matching desk :)

     
  • At 3:53 PM , Blogger Heide said...

    Roxie,
    Your new office looks very uptown and loverly. There is nothing more liberating than throwing stuff out.

     
  • At 6:26 PM , Blogger Galad said...

    Lovely new file cabinet! The office area looks so neat and tidy. I'm working on committing a neatness in mine too. 2 bags of shredding down :-)

     
  • At 9:11 PM , Anonymous barbfroman said...

    Wow. This looks wonderful. Your industry is almost inspiring me to clean out some drawers.

    And how thoughtful of you to give your worms reading materials. Smartest worms on the block.

     
  • At 5:49 AM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    It looks like a welcoming corner. I'd say fill the basket with brightly colored yarns (like some of Theresa's) but you'd never get any writing done.

    I have always made do with second hand and hand-me-downs, too. The kids came first. Now, my husband is insisting I get to have some of the good stuff. It's fun and exciting, isn't it?

     
  • At 7:21 AM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    I shall tease you not-- my office is a kitchen table which rarely sees dinner... and yours is beautiful.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home