Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Saturday, July 09, 2011

andnow for the next stage

 Things were pretty busy at the fracture clinic when /i got there.  Youngsters had gotten their casts wet during our last warm spell, and the fungal growth had become evident.  Working men had hand and wrist injuries, and several old fogies like me were in for post op checkups. The other old fogies and I were all in good moods, so the waiting wasn't onerous.  Finally I got in and had my cast removed.  The med tech immediately scrubbed my arm with antiseptic, then left me sitting while he helped someone apply traction.  my arm looked so frail and withered.   Well, it's been immobilized for a month, poor thing.

I took advantage of my waiting time by gently stroking and inspecting.  The skin, having been deprived of sensory stimulation for two weeks, was just atingle with thrills.  This must be how a newborn feels, suddenly assaulted with sensory input.  No wonder it takes them weeks to focus! 

After a while they sent me alomg to X-Ray.The x-ray tech let me see my pictures which was really cool of him.  I have a plate about three inches long in the underside of my wrist, held in with about 8 screws.  I remarked that the doctor really screwed me over, and the tech, not knowing me, choked a bit. 
                                                                                          Then back to central casting.  They wound up with three of us old fogies at adjoining stations, and we all chatted and laughed like old friends while waiting for our replacement casts.  The med techs said that we were the happiest patients they had seen all week.  One woman was warnedabout Tylenol overdosing.  "If you get too much," the tech told her, "your liver will fall out on the floor."  "I'm keeping my legs crossed from now on!" she told him.  Her cast was green and purple.

Mine is pink!  It's smaller than the sugar tong splints and allows a lot more finger and thumb movement. And, I can hold a knitting needle!  So I am off to ladies' knitting today (second Saturday of the month) andi may even be able to DO something!  YEEEEEEEEEEHA!

11 Comments:

  • At 9:00 AM , Blogger LA said...

    They have created a monster....a pink knitting monster that has been out of commission for a bit!!!! Enjoy your new freedom!

     
  • At 10:22 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Love that pink cast (though will like it better when it comes off)! Such interesting thoughts and comparisons you make; like the sensory feelings of a newborn. Only you, Roxie. Happy Knitting; yarn and bone! Alice

     
  • At 10:37 AM , Blogger Willow said...

    Casts have certainly changed since my son got his very plain white one in 1982.

    Huuray for movement. Enjoy the knitting!

     
  • At 4:46 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    I love the pink!!! I'm glad that you might be able to knit in some manner ... keep those fingers limber!!

     
  • At 6:28 PM , Blogger Bobbie Wallace said...

    While I am not surprised that your cast is pink (your inner 3-year old was showing), I am surprised it hasn't been glittered and sequined before photographing!

     
  • At 11:25 PM , Anonymous Lisa Nowak said...

    Glad to hear you're coming along. Now when do we get the story of why you needed surgery after all? I thought the first guy said it was all hunky dory with just a cast?

     
  • At 10:09 AM , Blogger Orice said...

    Even writing about your poor arm makes me laugh. Hope it heals much faster than the Dr. predicts.

     
  • At 4:37 AM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    I didn't get a choice of color for my cast. My family took care of that by buying Sharpie markers and "decorating" it. Since it was Christmas, they wanted to put lights on it. I was afraid I'd trip.

    I LOVE the pink cast. I mean, I don't love the cast, just that it's pink. Your skin will need a lot of tlc for a while to bring it back to normal.

     
  • At 5:41 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    You're on the home stretch now.

     
  • At 4:22 AM , Anonymous Benita said...

    And I'm sure that was the first thing you tested. Congrats on being able to knit once again - it's been a long dry spell, I'm sure. So, how long will you have to wear this cast before being totally free? Will they have to go in and remove the plate and screws?

     
  • At 7:26 AM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    Baby, only you can liven up a 'fracture' party... and I KNEW it would be pink!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home