Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Friday, July 08, 2011

Summer slacker

I have been so lazy. A little writing, a little book moving, catching up on everyone's blogs and facebook comments.  I can't knit (It's the angle of the wrist I can't twist) so I have put myself into lower gear and am learning to sit with my hand quiet. The cool overcast we have been enjoying is conducive to reading and naps.  I never would have thought that a broken wrist would dictate what I read, but I have to limit my literary intake to books I can hold open with one hand.(and I can't wear post earrings, or panty hose.  I ought to shave my legs but wotthehell.)

For some reason it had never occurred to me how much our bones shift around inside the muscles and tendons.  I had this notion that a cast would immobolize the whole structure.  All it really does is limit certain movements.  The splint slides up and down quite a lot, which really helps with the itches. 

Today I see Dr. Schweitzer.  I'd better start writing down my questions.  How big is the plate and the screws?  How many screws?  Where's the incision?  Is it ok if I slide my cast up and down to scratch the itches? Should I be doing any exercises to retain some strength?  What shall I do with all this awful, nasty left-over oxycodone?

Hope your summer cuts you a little slack.  It's important to stop, breathe, and appreciate our many tender blessings now and then.

7 Comments:

  • At 7:32 AM , Blogger Bonnie said...

    Bless your heart. You will lose some strength in the hand and arm. That will be physical therepy after. Good Luck.

     
  • At 8:51 AM , Blogger sophanne said...

    I think I take umbrage with the word lazy. Too many times when we are finding and/or seeking quiet peace (whether self-imposed or wrist-imposed) we call ourselves lazy. It's just not true. Ban the lazy labeling police!

     
  • At 10:59 AM , Blogger Rose L said...

    Lazy? Or taking time to stop and smell the flowers??

     
  • At 3:25 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Revel in your moments of peace. This is a quiet time when you can think your own thoughts and watch the shadows move across the lawn. Alice

     
  • At 4:30 PM , Anonymous tlbw said...

    I got good at reading one-handed when I was breast-feeding. I'm sure in the 25+ years since then I have lost the knack. I also used to be able to read out loud and knit at the same time and I have no idea how I managed that. Moms are resourceful.And I was much younger and more flexible.
    Can you crochet? Spin with the drop spindle? Play solitaire? (Oops. Shuffling. Never mind.)

     
  • At 6:58 PM , Blogger Galad said...

    One of the things Nicole likes about the Kindle is she can hold it in one hand. She never wanted one but it is growing on her.

    Keeping good thoughts for healing and relaxation.

     
  • At 7:30 AM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    You may grow downright meditative! And what Galad said about the Kindle:-)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home