Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Counting blessings

Did you see the video of the semi truck being ripped apart by a little tornado?  It's knots my stomach every time the media runs it.  And the utter devestation of Joplin Missouri appalls me.  And yet - people are helping one another.  No one is sitting around saying, "Why doesn't the gummint DO something?  We need help"  Everyone is pitching in and doing what they can to help one another.  I hope, when it's my turn to face disaster, I can do so with such courage and grace.

I am SO glad I don't have to face tornadoes!  Or floods that will cover the entire town 15 feet deep in a toxic soup of diesel oil and sewage.  I am SO grateful to have just a day - maybe ten degrees cooler and a few centimeter's wetter than average, but just a day when I go to work and come home and nothing has happened.  What can I do to help those not so lucky?  How can I propitiate the fates to maintain my run of luck?

In our writing group, when something good happens, like getting an agent or having a poem published or something of that ilk, the lucky writer must bring chocolate.  Partially, this is to share the celebration, but partially it is a sacrifice to the muses, to keep ill-fortune away from us.  I will be doing a reading and book signing on June 3rd and feel it's time to sacrifice a bag of Lindor balls with my fellow followers of the art to please the muse and bring lots of customers in to the store.  And maybe a little bowlful of Lindor balls to give out one with each book . . .

6 Comments:

  • At 3:04 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Every day I try to thank God for the blessings I have received and the good fortune that has smiled upon my loved ones. Than I remember those who are suffering, not just from natural disasters of storm and quake, but from emotional and health traumas. Thanks for reminding me. Oh BTW, where are your reading? Alice Lynn

     
  • At 5:25 PM , Blogger Sheeprustler said...

    Mmmm, chocolate sacrifice...

     
  • At 5:52 PM , Anonymous Lisa Nowak said...

    Good luck with the book signing. I'm trying to figure out which part of the book publishing process to celebrate and when to bring chocolate, but everyone's had so many successes lately I need to get in line. :)

     
  • At 4:45 AM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    I am always so grateful for my ordinary, relatively safe little life. I think it's wonderful that most people's first inclination is to ask, "how can I help?". It helps to restore my faith in the ultimate goodness of the human race (and why the aliens shouldn't just blast us out of the sky).

    Chocolate to appease the muse? Great idea. I doubt muses worry about their weight.

     
  • At 5:35 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    Every once in a while, Grilltech will burn something (not usually on purpose) and calls it a scariface to the BBQ gods. So the next one will be even better.

    You're doing a book signing! That's awesome!

     
  • At 9:44 AM , Anonymous LindaG said...

    Where's the book signing? When? WHENWHEREWHENWHERE TELL US SO SOME OF US CAN BE THERE!!!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home