Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Friday, May 13, 2011

SUNSHINE!!

 I finished my traveling knitting, thanks so much to the kindness of Willow and MammaMia!  This is another of the bamboo and tencell scarves I have fallen in love with.  Teresa Ruch dyes the yarn, and my hands have fun, fun, fun playing with it, and then the finished scarves snuggle up so nicely to my throat.

I had this notion of makinag a cowl with mitered squares joined in a spiral so there was one corner loose at the start and one corner loose at the finish.  AS with many offspring, it was charming in conception, but not so satisfactory in actuality.  So I declared one edge the outside, and grabbed my crochet hook.(Yes, I am also conversanat with the dark arts of crochet.  I ave many skills.)   I worked ch3, skip 1, sc  all the way around.  Next row was ch4, sc in loop all the way around, and then ch5, sc in loop till the yarn was gone.  It made a nice frill.  It's wearable, but I just don't love it.  Maybe if I add some beads.  I'm easily distracted by shiny things.
Here's a closer up of that basic unit, the mitered square.  Cast on 15, place a stitch marker, and cast on 15 more. *Knit to the stitch marker, slip it. Knit the next two stitches together. Knit to the end of the row.  Turn.*  Repeat till there is one stitch left on the needles. 

Counting that stitch as 1, pick up 14 more stitches along the edge of the square. Place stitch marker, cast on 15 more stitches.  Continue as for first square.  Repeat till there are 12 squares. Next square, pick up 15 stitches along the side of the square, place stitch marker, pick up 15 stitches along the top of the first square.  make a second row of squares picking up along the edge of the square just knitted, and the top of the square below.  Cut yarn and draw end through final stitch.  Sew in ends.  Wear or embellish as you please.

5 Comments:

  • At 5:33 PM , Blogger Willow said...

    What is it you don't love about it? In the photo, it looks lovely. The drape maybe?

     
  • At 6:56 AM , Blogger roxie said...

    The drape is good, the color is flattering. It's not that I dislike it, but I just don't love it. I think I prefer something closer to the throat, and this drapes loosely away.

     
  • At 8:42 AM , Anonymous Lisa Nowak said...

    Ah, how you mislead us with that "sunshine" title! But that's okay. It was a spectacular day.

     
  • At 9:31 AM , Blogger Heide said...

    It is lovely, with little bits of spring colors flitting about. The ruffly, flowing parts give it character. Maybe it could be worn a different way or with something else to make you love it too? I'm blown away that supplies were delivered to you while out of town. People are amazing!

     
  • At 5:45 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    So pretty, baby-- I love the way you create on the fly!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home