Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Monday, May 16, 2011

Recipe 1 & 2 - moderate fail

The first brownie recipe I tried was from the 1932 American Woman Cookbook, and since I didn't know how much powdered baking chocolate equalled 4 bars, I used some high cacao eating chocolate and guessed.  They didn't turn out much like brownies, but the locusts where DH works raved.  Then I made Alton Brown's plain old brownies recipe.  He gave a frosting  recipe, but I thought it was optional.  Silly me.  The locusts prefer a sweeter brownie and needed the frosting.  DH brought home leftovers!

Now, Lisa's Chocolate Horsepower Brownies (with cherries) are cooling on the counter.  This has been the most satisfactory recipe so far.  Good quantity, clear directions, and lots of variations.  They smell divine!!


I have been quite remiss in my photos of the year of seasons.  But here is old Adam's Apple tree, sprouting for all it's worth.  Amazing the persistence of life!  I know that arborists use a variety of methods on trees.  cutting the top off and letting it re-sprout is called pollarding.  the poll is the top of the head, so I can see where this term comes from.  Then there's the practice of coppicing, where a tree is cut down, and all the shoots that spring up around the stump are encouraged.  You get long, straight, strong poles this way, suitable for hoe handles and bean trellises and cricket bats.  Things you never wanted to know - right?


Knitting continues, though I don't deserve that it should. I'm working on a sweater. took it to work, and forgot it.  And I had to have something for the May meeting of the Portland Purls, so I quickly grabbed some oddballs and began a perfectly mindless triangle.  I ran out of yarn here, and discovered that it makes a nifty  little scarf.


 
Well that was so much fun that I made another.  Green is not my color, but they'll go in the box for the orphans.  Quick and cozy.  Would you buy a used car from this shifty character?  Hell, would you accept a drink of water from her?  She doesn't look trustworthy to  me.                                                                                                               


10 Comments:

  • At 5:07 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Locusts should not be quite so selective!! lol I'm partial to an un-frosted brownie myself ...

     
  • At 6:34 PM , Blogger sophanne said...

    And before you called yourself a shifty character I was thinking "what a stunning profile"...just so you know

     
  • At 11:04 PM , Blogger Paul said...

    Not only would I buy a used car from her, I'd buy her a cup of coffee! The Brownies with cherries sound absolutely awesome!

     
  • At 1:51 AM , Blogger Lyssa said...

    My all time favorite brownies are the ones from the recipe that was on the back of Hershey's cocoa tins when I was little...I like it with dark chocolate chips, or sometimes I used chocolate covered espresso beans and added a couple of teaspoons of instant coffee powder to the mix.

    Hershey's Saucepan Brownies



    Skill Level:
    Beginner
    Prep Time:
    12 Minutes

    Ingredients

    * 1 cup (2 sticks) butter or margarine
    * 2 cups sugar
    * 1/2 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
    * 4 eggs, beaten
    * 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
    * 1/2 teaspoon salt
    * 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
    * 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    * 2 cups (12-oz. pkg.) HERSHEY'S SPECIAL DARK Chocolate Chips or HERSHEY'S Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
    * 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

    Directions

    1. 1 Heat oven to 350°F. Grease 13x9x2-inch baking pan.

    2. 2 Melt butter in medium saucepan over low heat. Add sugar and cocoa; stir to blend. Remove from heat. Stir in eggs. Stir together flour, salt and baking soda; stir into chocolate mixture. Stir in vanilla, chocolate chips and nuts. Spread in prepared pan.

    3. 3 Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until brownies begin to pull away from sides of pan and begin to crack slightly; do not underbake. Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Cut into bars. About 24 brownies.

     
  • At 4:45 AM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    We cut down a few trees in the our yard that were sick (we could tell because the caterpillars made a bee line for them every spring) and they are now 8 foot tall "bushes" where new sprouts took over for the old tree. It was fascinating to watch. Where once stood a tree, now is a huge bush.

    I made cupcakes over the weekend with chocolate cherry frosting. Yum. Chocolate and cherries belong together.

     
  • At 5:20 AM , Anonymous Benita said...

    Whoa! That's is one evil eye you are giving the camera!

    Brownies! Oooo, those sound wonderful, especially the ones with cherries. For some reason, cherries are becoming one of my favorite fruits.

     
  • At 5:35 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    You get better deals from the green woman. She's trying to get rid of you, so offer a fair price and she'll agree make you go away. (Course you'll have to watch that wording...)

     
  • At 11:19 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    You're making me crazy! Will there or will there not be brownies at tomorrow's meeting? :-) Thanks for the stuff on tree pollarding and coppicing. I knew there had to be an explanation for some of the weird tree cuts I've seen. Alice Lynn

     
  • At 7:46 PM , Blogger Willow said...

    She's so shifty that I'd shift to the other side of the street if I saw her walking along the boulevard in her shift. lol!

     
  • At 3:04 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    Knitting makes her automatically trustworthy... I don't know why it ees, but it ees, in the same way that Mount everest ees, and Alma Kogan isn't.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home