Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Thursday, March 31, 2011

button up

What am I going to put my new  buttons on?  The big blue dragonfly goes on a hat that needs a little freshening up.  The red dragonflies - I dunno yet.  The fishies?  I don't need a project in mind to buy fishies.  I will keep them and love them and fondle them now and then.  They don't even need to be on display.  I'm happy that they will just be.

My friend, Tim Young, wants to paint some buttons.  Not with a rattle-can, but with a tiny brush.  He wants to paint miniatures on buttons.  He needs a brush so small that he's going to have to make it himself.  He's thinking, maybe 3 cat whiskers.  It's spring and cats will be shedding.  Tim, wanna post a snail mail address for folks to send the whiskers of their cats?

Buttons ARE nice to collect.  Unlike antique cars, they don't take up much space or require much maintainence.  Unlike paintings or rare stamps, they're not expensive.  Well, most of them aren't expensive. As with anything that people collect, if someone wants what someone else has, it becomes more valuable.  Serious button collectors can spend thousands.  That takes a lot of the fun out of it for me.  My buttons, like my tea-cups are items of fun, and the hunt is part of the pleasure.  I have even been known to buy a second-hand dress because I was so charmed by the buttons.

Since I enjoy mindless garter-stitch knitting bets of all (It's so meditative!) I often produce stuff that might be a bit boring or generic.  A single accent button pops it right out of the ordinary.  And when I knit those sweaters for the orphans, I like to think that a bright, whimsical button can make an ordinary warm sweater into something special.  And we all need something special, don't we?

7 Comments:

  • At 12:23 PM , Blogger LA said...

    I have button boxes from both of my grandmothers. I spent hours entertaining myself when I was little, and I treasure them now for all the fond memories I find inside. Most of the buttons are just everyday buttons....shirts and dresses. But there are a few that are out of the ordinary. But, truly, they are all special.

     
  • At 1:08 PM , Anonymous tlbw said...

    When I remember my childhood it seems like a Laura Ingalls Wilder book. But I had so much fun playing with my grandmother's and mother's button stashes. I wonder what happened to the 40's cardboard container my mom kept hers in. I saved a few buttons when we did the last sale of her things - I know I underpriced those we sold because someone grabbed a small bag for $5 without making any fuss.

    To show you what kind of kid I was, I used to cut figures out of the Sears' and Wards' catalogues to us a paper dolls, and drive them around in muffin tin cars.

     
  • At 4:56 PM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    I love buttons. Kate wants me to make her a sweater out of yarn she spins herself. It needs some buttons and she has asked Peter Kevin to make her some wooden buttons with some leaves painted on. It'll be a truly hand crafted garment.

    I love the large dragonfly button (although I will admit to being a bit queasy about bugs in general)

     
  • At 9:49 PM , Blogger Rose L said...

    I wonder what the most expensive button looked like? hmmmm...maybe some research!

     
  • At 8:35 AM , Blogger Tim Young said...

    Please send any spare cat whiskers to
    Tim Young
    7107 N. Campbell Ave.
    Portland, OR. 97217

    Please be careful collecting small things. About 24 years ago I collected 25 tons of beads from India. I only have 2 or 3 hundred pounds left.

     
  • At 3:58 PM , Blogger Sheeprustler said...

    Buttons are scrumptious. I am addicted to buttons. For years I even kept a crumpled paper bag that buttons came in, because it reminded me of how I bought them in a cobbled back street of a French town. The buttons are quite ordinary, but even without their paper bag they remind me of that holiday!

     
  • At 11:34 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    I love buttons... they're almost like yarn, magnetic in possibilities. I can run my fingers through them and craft with them and string them on rosaries... a beautiful button is a sweater in the making...

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home