Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

things an stuff

 Trying a new format and stuff.  Glitches are likely.  Please forgive and alert me to any screw-ups you notice.

First, the last of the sewing frenzy comforters.  This is for the son of a nephew.  Great nephew, right?  Orange is his favorite color, so I figure this should please him.  He lives in LA and temperatures have gotten clear down into the 60s, so I figure they need some more blankies.  His older sisters will get one of the black and white comforters and one of the pink and purple comforters.  Boxing and shipping is on my list of things to do today.
 Second, let me introduce my newest BFF.  Her name is _ Cupcake!

Cupcake and I will be working on some bread today.  Go, Cupcake!!
I took my very first ever yoga class yesterday.  Ow.  Groan.  That's waaayyyy more work than it looks like!!  But I loved it, and I tried a salute to the sun this morning.  I never used to think of myself as clumsy, but this practice will certainly give me empathy with folks who do.  I mean, you have to work hard to fall down from standing on all fours.(downward dog)


We had a big snow even predicted for today which, thank God, has not manifested.  Instead of the sheet of ice we had been cautioned to anticipate, we woke up to  - 40 degrees and rain.  Tah-dah!  That's Portland standard weather.  It's why we celebrate sunny days.  It's why formal wear is Goretex, and casual wear means undoing the top two buttons on your wool shirt.  It's why everything is green here.  Even the gaskets around my car doors.  Bricks and fences and the north side of houses are green.  Cement patios are green.  If you don't do things in the rain, you don't do things.  

But there are about three weeks in the year when it gets above 80, and about three weeks when it gets below freezing.  It's a mild, temperate climate, and we have lovely moist complexions that don't show our age.  I'll take it.

And, because everything is better with a kitty, here are three of them.  Candy, Pepper and Fly.

11 Comments:

  • At 10:20 AM , Blogger LA said...

    Ah...life with the kitties! They do give you a good perspective! Eat, nap in the sun, and purrrrrrr. You and Cupcake should have a fun time with all the goodies you can mix up!

     
  • At 12:39 PM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    Yes, those poor southern californians! It hasn't been 80 degrees for over a month.

    Yoga is not the easy exercise program that people think it is. I manage to find every tiny little muscle in my body every time I take a yoga class. And each one of them has something to say.

     
  • At 1:11 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    She definitely looks like a Cupcake!!!

     
  • At 6:29 PM , Blogger sophanne said...

    I covet cupcake. Just think of our combined powers (cupcake and Betty- which is what husband named the oven just now when I asked him)

     
  • At 7:21 PM , Blogger Galad said...

    I envision you and Cupcake will create some wonderful goodies together! (and yes, everything is better with kitties)

     
  • At 7:22 PM , Blogger Heide said...

    Love the picture of you with your new toy. Kitties make life wonderful. Great, happy orange blanket! You have lucky nieces and nephews.

     
  • At 5:07 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    There are some yoga poses I can't do. There are some I can't do long, but I love the sun saluation.

    Cupcake is lovely. Try not to make the cats jealous.

     
  • At 11:22 AM , Anonymous tlbw said...

    The only object I ever named is that battered 1993 Camry wagon I drive - she is, in my private thoughts, Rosinante. I began to think of her that way in 2006, when I was driving to and from Sweet Home several times a week.
    She looks somewhat sway-backed, but she keeps going as long as she gets regular oil changes, etc. I never even considered naming my stand mixer, or my even more venerable Cuisinart. May Cupcake live long and prosper.
    I don't know what accessories she came with, besides a dough hook. presumably she had both a whisk and a paddle beater. Accessories I wish I had include a water bath (for beating over either hot or ice water) and a shield for adding flour without dusting the entire work area. Unfortunately, I bought a model which doesn't offer them.

    Get a copy of Rose Levy Berenbaum's The Cake Bible out of the library. So far I haven't felt the need to buy it, as several of the key recipes were published some years ago in a cooking magazine. Her didactic tone can be a bit much, but her technique for the standard American butter cake is revolutionary, and it works - remember your wedding cake? That was one of her recipes.

     
  • At 1:32 PM , Anonymous Benita said...

    I love yoga and wish I could go more often.

    How did your cats get their names?

     
  • At 2:27 PM , Anonymous Lisa Nowak said...

    Love the colors in that quilt. So cheerful.

     
  • At 11:18 AM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    Had to snicker at the description of your weather--but you forgot to mention slugs! You have green slugs, too!

    The quilt will be MUCH appreciated--blankies always are! And kitties are, of course, life enhancers wherever they nap...

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home