Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Sunday, January 02, 2011

the tree


Here's that little maple again. My tree pictures aren't near as interesting as Benita's, but I'll do better next year. this year I went for convenience - a tree in my yard. Next year, I'll go for a well-composed picture. Also, I don't get the excitement of snow to lend interest to the winter photos, and thank God for that!! Maybe i could change things up a bit during the slow gray time by trying different angles. The neighbor's house is in the background. I could go stand in their driveway and put our house in the background. Worth a try.
So after we had been out visiting all day, we got home and settled down with our laptops and slippers. suddenly, Fly, who was perched on the diningroom table keeping an eye on the back yard began to raise a ruckus. "Rat!" he snarled. "Rat! Big freaking big ugly freaking RAT!" DH and I rushed to the door to see what was the matter, and what to our wondering eyes should appear but an enormous - possum. If possums had ugly contests, this one would waddle off with the grand prize champion purple ribbon with spangles. It was a big larger than a cat, with the rat-like snout, undershot jaw, snaggly teeth, beady eyes, and hideous naked pink tail about a foot long. EeeeeWWW!! Fly was demanding, "Get it out! Get it out, getitoutgetitoutgetitoutoutout!!"
"Where's the broom?" I asked, dashing off to find it. DH opened the back door and counseled the possum, "You'd better leave now." It squinted up at him and snarled, "You talkin' to me?"
Then I burst through the door, broom at the ready, fully prepared to wallop the sucker with the handle. Possums, when properly motivated, can put on quite a turn of speed. I didn't know they could gallop, but this one showed me its heels all the way to the shed where it vanished into the shadows. "Beat it! I was yelling. Get out of here!" The neighbor's dogs started cheering me on. "Hey! Something's happening. Hey! Hey! " (Dogs have a limited vocabulary) and porch lights began to come on in the adjacent homoes as neighbors peered out to see what was going on.
"Goddamm possum!" I announced to the world at large. "And it's probably pregnant, too." And with a squeeze of the gut I realized I had spoken the truth. Stay tuned for further episodes in the possum chronicles.

8 Comments:

  • At 8:19 AM , Blogger Willow said...

    Possums. Ugh.

    Question: Why did the possum cross the road?

    Answer: We'll never know. No possum has ever made it across.

     
  • At 9:56 AM , Blogger Heide said...

    I think you were an exterminator in a former life. Your possum story reminded me of a possum I once made. I posted a picture of him out on my blog in your honor today. Hope you're enjoying a relaxing Sunday brunch with your best guy!

     
  • At 11:06 AM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    Good Fly! My cat just watches and lets all the mammals just move into our yard. Which is why we had a family of woodchucks (until the hawks discovered them and made quick work of killing them all).

    Possums are so ugly. They always look like they are skulking around.

     
  • At 11:06 AM , Anonymous Lisa Nowak said...

    Uh oh...

     
  • At 3:07 PM , Blogger Rose L said...

    LOL I do not like possums. When we lived in CA.,we once had a possum enter our garage through the cat door we had installed for the cats to have access to the garage when we were not home. Unbeknownst to us, it had lived there for the whole winter, clumbing under the boat cover and using our boat as a birthing place. It was a mess and there were 6 little possums in the boat, which surprised my husband. We had to put the boat out in the driveway for a few days, close the cat door for good and, once the possums vacated, we had a stinky mess to clean up! YECH!!
    Nope, do not like possums.

     
  • At 9:56 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    Oh baby... I am laughing so hard I'm falling off my chair! Poor possum... it doesn't stand a chance!

     
  • At 4:08 AM , Anonymous Benita said...

    Roxie Mighty Opossum Warrior! See Roxie raise her might staff...err... broom! See dastardly opossum take to his...err... her heals in the flight of terror! Who will win this match, Roxie Mighty Opossum Warrior or Dastardly Oppossum? Stay tuned as we continue our story...

     
  • At 5:27 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    Possums or racoons not sure which is better.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home