Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Tuesday, January 04, 2011

you don't see this every day



In your grocery store baking aisle, you might find a grain product from Bob's Red Mill. The mill is two miles from my house. I went there today to restock on oat-groats and this is what I found.







The water wheel is purely decorative, with a recirculating pump to keep the water flowing and the wheel turning. It has been below freezing the past three days, and the pump kept going after the wheel stopped. It's dry and snow-free all around, but the wheel has a glorious coat of frosting!
















Little bitty icicles hanging off the paddles of the wheel.



















Honking great monsters hanging off the buttresses,
(see the lumps along the sides of the individual icicles? That's because the wind was pretty brisk as the ice was forming.)

















And a fairyland of crystal festooning the undersides.

The english ivy is covered about an inch thick inice. It'll be interesting to see how it handles the chill.
So you folks in Australia, if you can get your head above water, here's what you're missing in the northern hemisphere.
Seriously, the flooding in Australia is dreadful. I'm hoping that all my friends and all those that they love are safe.

8 Comments:

  • At 3:12 PM , Anonymous Lisa Nowak said...

    Honey, it's been below freezing way more than three days. I know because I walk for an hour in it every night. I think it started last Thursday. Cool pics.

     
  • At 5:10 PM , Blogger Willow said...

    Seriously, that is an amazing ice sculpture! Another thing I miss about Oregon: Bob's Red Mill. Every time I visit Portland, my sister in law and I go there so I can stock up on foods only BRM has.

     
  • At 5:51 PM , Blogger LA said...

    Really amazing pictures...thanks for sharing! They're calling for snow here tomorrow night. I hope it goes in another direction!

     
  • At 6:38 PM , Blogger Heide said...

    I keep hoping for snow! I'd romp, frolic, sled, build a snowman, knit and be positively giddy with a snow day. Your pictures of the frozen wheel are bee-you-tee-ful! This is what winter is supposed to look like. Thank you!

     
  • At 9:02 PM , Blogger Rose Red said...

    I am SO GLAD it does not get that cold here!!

    And fortunately, no floods in Sydney.

     
  • At 5:22 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    Love those frozen water sculptures. Next time, it will be slightly different but still as lovely.

     
  • At 9:38 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Totally cool!! I love ice on things - light icing or heavy hoar frost on a massive tree can make an excellent Crystalline Entity!!

     
  • At 11:54 AM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    Wow-- that is REALLY purty... it's like, Christmas card purty... and yes, it's been colder than a witch's tit around here too--but not as cold as that!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home