Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Saturday, January 01, 2011

one, one, oneone.



I want to run around putting the date on everything. I wish I had bubble forms to fill out because they would be so easy. If I still paid my bills with checks, I'd pay them all today.



Pepper looks like a little black woolly bah-lamb in this photo. In reality, she is a Teacup Dictator who rules the house with an iron paw. We finally found a new home for Squirrel where she can run around freely without fear of having the crap slapped out of her. DH will miss her, but it will be a much better life for her. Her new mommy is very sweet, gentle and patient.


DH and I will be doing some visiting today, and I'm gonna make DH go through the doors first. There's an old Scottish tradition that if the first person to enter your household is a dark-haired man, he will bring good fortune through the door with him. The tradition also includes a chunk of bread to bring in prosperity, a wad of money to bring in wealth, a bottle of whiskey to bring in conviviality, and a fire(or lighted candle) to bring in love. No telling how much of this I can get DH to carry. But I have heard of young men in Edinburgh who race out the door with a lantern, a sandwich, and a pin,t on the first stroke of midnight, and cover the neighborhood, getting a welcoming tot of whiskey at each home untill they can't stand up any more.





The unluckiest first foot over the threshold is a red-haired woman, so by rights, I should just sit home for the next week to make sure I don't curse anyone. But I'm much more silver than copper by now, and I'll still make DH go through the doors first.





Benita sent me some beautiful natural-dyed shetland wool and I am working on a FaireIsle tea cozy for her. It's been a while since I did FaireIsle, and my mind is awhirl with colorwork. And will this green contrast enough with that copper, and does the orange work with the cinnamon and will there be enough of the yellow to use it here? Great fun! Photos to follow of course.

7 Comments:

  • At 8:09 AM , Anonymous Dave Daniels said...

    Well, fea not. You can have more one one fun in November, when it's oneone one oneone. Or, something like that. (It's like calendar Morse code?)

     
  • At 11:31 AM , Blogger Willow said...

    What a combo-- a black haired man and a red haired woman :) On average, you will bring even luck.

    Happy New Year!

     
  • At 12:27 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Good thing I came by here - I'll have to make sure that I don't put on my hair today!! LOLs

     
  • At 3:05 PM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    I guess I'll hang back then, being a red headed woman! I wouldn't want to bring anyone bad luck this year.

    I'm spinning some merino/tencel that Em gave me. It's slippery and very colorful.

    Happy New Year! (btw, you and MJ are sewing ninjas!)

     
  • At 10:34 PM , Anonymous Lisa Nowak said...

    Well, Bob was the first one to enter our house when we came home early this morning, so maybe we'll have good fortune. :)

     
  • At 9:58 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    hee hee hee... I don't know... sounds like something cooked up by a handsome dark haired lad, just to get himself a whiskey! And I'm afraid we're all doomed--with three red-headed women in the house, there's not much else that could cross that threshold!

     
  • At 5:29 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    Does it still count if we more silver than copper?

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home