Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Saturday, January 08, 2011

black to back

Ten hours of sewing yesterday, and another hour today, and two more quilts are done.

This first one was planned, as much as I ever plan anything; which is to say that I squint at the fabric, maybe sort it into darks and lights, and let my inner committee riffle through the stacks of simple patterns we have collected in my head. Since I am often working with left-overs from previous projects, I do a little measuring and guesstimating, then I start snipping and tearing and sewing strips together. I do love strip piecing! Pull out the rotary cutter and cut up the strips, sew the other sides, slap the squares together, sew pairs, strips, sew the strips together, and alakazam! It's a quilt top! As per usual, I'm skipping a batt and bbacking them with some micro fleece, so 3 3/4 longs seams later, a quick flip, a little hand-stitching to close the hole, and it's a comforter.












So when I started the second one, I was totally into the zone and began sewing with virtually no rational thought involved. The super-ego was pretty much a passenger on the Amtrack of Construction. (I was also listening to "Starship Trooper" on the I-pod. My God Heinlin talks a lot of crap!) This quilt went together pretty much unconsciously and it was a rest and a holiday to make it. Random juxtaposition and using up the leftovers was the ruling force. Allow the process to proceed. Turned out not too bad, don'cha think?

Tomorrow, a report on knitting at TW's house and the glory that is aebleskivver.

11 Comments:

  • At 1:19 PM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    I love the seeming randomness of the quilt blocks in the second quilt. In black and white, the favric with the spots looks like bits of cows.

    Starship Troopers was a way better movie than a book. Too much politics in the book. My favorite Heinlinism is TANSTAFL (there ain't no such thing as a free lunch). I am a great fan of his but not everything he wrote. Stranger in a Strange Land is my favorite.

     
  • At 2:07 PM , Blogger Bells said...

    looks great Roxie! So, me being new to quilting, my question looking at your stuff is how come you don't do the actual quilting part (you know, sewing the layers together)? I'm still reading and learning and I thought that part was vital to keeping it all together. Can that bit be skipped? Or are you doing it and I just can't see it?

     
  • At 3:10 PM , Blogger Rose Red said...

    They are both fabulous - I can't decide whether I like the first one or the second!

     
  • At 3:14 PM , Blogger LA said...

    WOW! You sure did get a lot done. Someone is lucky to get one of your warm quilts!

     
  • At 5:37 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    They're both awesome ... you're a veritable quilt-making maching!!!

     
  • At 7:45 PM , Blogger Galad said...

    It is amazing what your brain creates when on autopilot :-)

     
  • At 1:54 AM , Blogger Janette said...

    You are a machine!

    I love those two quilts! Totally my colours.

    I wish I had your energy. xx

     
  • At 6:34 AM , Blogger Heide said...

    They are both beautiful, but that top quilt is a real stunning piece of art. You're a good auntie. I didn't know you were a twin. I've always envied someone with a womb-mate. Enjoy a great Sunday morning with Mr. Roxie.

     
  • At 8:25 AM , Anonymous Lisa Nowak said...

    Very nice. As gray as it is outside, those almost look like black and white photos.:)

     
  • At 9:16 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    Wow! It's AMAZING what your creativity can channel--those rock!

     
  • At 5:32 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    I honestly liked the book better than the movie.

    Very nice job on the quilts. You're totally amazing.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home