Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Monday, January 10, 2011

I love my Kitchen Aid

I really ought to illustrate this with me kissing the white wonder, or tenderly embracing it. It is an anti-depressant device! DH asked what I was going to bake this week, and I suggested a cake. He requested something tropical, since we are having a blizzard predicted for the middle of the week. I found a receipe for a coconut/lime cake which he approved. This morning, since I desperately need exercise, I walked the half mile to the store, watching the clouds disappear and the sun come out in frozen liar's glory. No warmth in THIS brightness. I bought coconut milk and a lime and walked briskly home, then proceeded to bake. The mixer makes it so simple, so easy, so - Look, when the receipe says, "Beat for 8 minutes on low," I never before have beaten that batter for more than two minutes. It's fully mixed by then, right? What's the point of standing around, holding the mixer for another 6 minutes? Well, the point is, that it makes the cake lighter and more even-textured. and a helluvalot better. When all I have to do is turn on the Kitchen Aid and walk away, it makes the rest of the stuff start to make sense, too. Like, a teaspoon of baking powder really ought to be a level teaspoon, not just one that's mostly mounded at this end and half full on the other. And this stuff about cake flour being different from bread flour? It makes a difference! Whodathunkit? I thought it was just one of those things that you can't tell the difference in unless you're an expert with an over-refined sense of perfection and too much time to be fussy. I ain't fussy, and even I can tell. I baked a pretty good cake today. Oh, my, there is a WORLD of new stuff opening up for me!

Actually, I baked cupcakes, because it's harder to give slices of cake to the locusts. ( We call the guys DH works with, "the locusts" because they will consume anything.) As I work with the mixer, I will be doing a lot of experimenting, and I expect the locusts to find a use for the failures. Even the successes shouldn't be eaten up by just the two of us. But the knitting teas may become a little more deliciously supplied. Two cookies, at least one cake, a savory and some fruit is my usual goal, but we shall see what I come up with in the future.

Really, my Kitchen Aid should be named. Has anyone else named their kitchen appliances?

9 Comments:

  • At 4:28 PM , Blogger Heide said...

    I've never named an appliance, but my DH's computer is named Ivanna. I love to make whipped cream and anything requiring meringue or stiff egg whites is fun to make because your arm won't fall off to get the desired results.

     
  • At 4:32 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    I have a DeLonghi stand mixer that I adore as well. His name is Sir Mix-a-Lot. Amanda thinks that my habit of anthropomorphizing & naming things makes me a wee bit doddery but I can't help it!!!

     
  • At 4:52 PM , Blogger Bobbie Wallace said...

    I name mine! OK, only 1 appliance. Henrietta is one of those chicken-shaped egg cookers. Best $20 I ever spent! It cooks up to 7 eggs either hard, soft or medium in the shell and poaches 4 at a time. We use it at least twice a week. Besides, she looks so damn cute sitting on the counter!

     
  • At 5:25 PM , Blogger LA said...

    I name my looms and my car....I haven't named the Kitchen Aid, yet.

     
  • At 7:45 PM , Blogger Rose Red said...

    I LOVE my kitchenaid too! I have never thought about naming it, but now that you've put the idea in my head, I just might.

    I'm thinking Anna. After Anna Pavlov(a) - because the thing I make most using my KA is pavlova. And then I can also amuse myself by saying "Go Anna" as she whips the egg whites.

     
  • At 5:13 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    I'm not seeing the recipe for a coconut lime cake... How much rum goes into that?

    One of my pans is named Charlie.

     
  • At 6:01 AM , Anonymous Dave Daniels said...

    Mmmm, so envious of you and you KA mixer.

     
  • At 8:14 AM , Anonymous Lisa Nowak said...

    Do you have a cupcake left? Probably too much to hope for. Sigh. Those sound divine.

     
  • At 12:55 AM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    Mine are called 'cannon fodder' because my cooking skills are THAT bad! But I loved that--the sun in it' 'frozen liar's glory'-- God. Precious beautiful prose, my darling. I treasure it!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home