Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Sew what now?

Bells asked if I actually quilt my quilts. Nope. Sorry, Bells, I've been lazy in identifying what I'm doing. I make pieced comforters, not quilts. The ones I back with micro-fleece for the warmer climates are just two layers joined at the edges. The ones that get a batt are then tied every five inches to keep the batt from coming loose and lumping up inside. Pieced and tied comforters are very warm. Quilts are less warm, because the quilting, though it strengthens and stabilizes all the layers, squeezes out a lot of the insulating puffiness. Quilts used to be made with scraps and rags - shirts that were too worn to mend and those odd pieces of fabric left over when you cut out armholes and things like that. So you pieced them together to make an extra layer for the bed. And when you got three layers, you stacked and sewed them together, back and forth, and round and round, to make them strong enough to put up with three kids wrasslin' for the covers all night. And imagine the wear they would get being washed on a scrub-board. Then wring that sucker by hand and hang the heavy son of a gun up on the line? Boy, you just better not wet the bed is all I can say!

At the beginning of the 20th century, it was very uncommon for a person to sleep alone in a bed. Siblings, spouses, children and friends commonly shared blankets and body heat. Unthinkable now, when even married people share a bed big enough to sleep without touching. Three brothers in a bed must have taught guys a lot of survival skills. And imagine a sister fight that ends with having to sleep with the venomous little snake! No wonder our grandmothers learned to bottle their irritations and frustrations. You could bicker and pinch and spite away a whole night's sleep if you didn't find some other way to deal with it.

Did you have to share a bed growing up? I was the only girl. I didn't even have to share a room. What was it like to share that much?

(PS. Several folks have remarked that Blogger is not accepting comments. You might try the preview button and see if it will give you what you need to post. I, too, am getting that problem randomly when I visit my blog buddies.)

10 Comments:

  • At 9:20 AM , Blogger LA said...

    I never shared a bed (except on sleep-overs) but I did share a bedroom with 2 sisters! This makes for good communications skills, I think!

     
  • At 10:43 AM , Anonymous Benita said...

    I, too, was an only girl, but when we had visiting cousins and I had to share my bed, I usually slept on the floor.

     
  • At 12:03 PM , Blogger Willow said...

    Hi Roxie,
    As the only girl, I never shared a room or bed either until I married. Now, we choose a queen sized bed which is (almost) long enough for the Professor's long legs, but still cozy enough to keep me warm at night.

    I remember the quilts on my grandma's bed. They were HEAVY.

     
  • At 12:10 PM , Blogger Angie said...

    I think this post is hilarious! I am the youngest of 9 children---youngest by 8 years, so it's almost like being an only child in some respects. However, that bed sharing business was just normal for us...we lived in a very tiny house...can you imagine??? :) My sisters talk about being mad at each other and having to try to sleep together. ROFL

     
  • At 2:19 PM , Blogger Bells said...

    thanks for answering. I hadn't realised there was a difference.

    I shared a room from the age of two - by age 10 there were three of us in a room. I look back on it fondly even though I often hated it at the time. But we shared well mostly - i think it made us all closer, learning to share the cassette player, whispering to each other at night when our parents had said lights out, getting ready for going out together. There were fun moments. And there were fights. But they were forgotten.

     
  • At 5:42 PM , Blogger Heide said...

    Love the green, but thought I was in the wrong spot when I didn't see the pink! I had my own bed... but then again, I wet the bed often and nobody wanted to share. I usually fall asleep with Ashley snuggled up next to me. She weighs next to nothing, but when Brian moves her to her room and comes to bed we wrangle for position, blankets, sheets, etc. He tosses and turns, messing them all up, which I can't stand. I frequently get out of bed, pull everything off and remake it flat and smooth again (as smooth as I can with a full-grown man laying there complaining). When we moved here I wanted my girls to each have their own bedroom because they all three had to share when we lived up north. They got so used to sleeping together that seldom do all three of their rooms get used on the same night.

     
  • At 12:59 AM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    My step-sister and I shared a room-- we had bunkbeds, and as much as we hated each other, we were lucky to survive. We managed by the use of a closet door. I got to decorate the closet door and the underside of the top bunk bed (So I could see whatever hottie of the month I chose to tape up there) and she got the inside of the bedroom door.

    And we pointedly ignored each other a LOT. (Until I got a job and started buying clothes--then she started stealing my clothes and bumming rides to school from me when I'd been up late at work. Nothing worse than getting rousted out of bed, whined into giving your sister a ride to school after two hours of sleep, dropping her off while wearing a T-shirt and your underwear ONLY, and then watching her walk away thinking, "Holy shit--are those my new jeans? BITCH!") Anyway-- if we'd had to share an actual bed, we may not have survived.

     
  • At 5:27 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    I was the youngest only girl and had to share my room with a nasty step brother until I was about ten.

     
  • At 8:29 AM , Anonymous Lisa Nowak said...

    Thanks for the lesson on quilting. You're full of interesting facts.

     
  • At 7:33 PM , Blogger Lyssa said...

    My two brothers and I shared a bed until I was about 5 (it was actually a fold out sofa in the living room). When we got our own bedroom we were thrilled, then we all shared that until I was 12. You definitely have to learn to get along...I think it did me good.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home