Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Sunday, December 12, 2010

tidings of comfort and joy

Does the Christmas spirit feel a bit lacking this year? Seeing everything out in the stores at the end of October sort of took the edge off for me. Getting the tree up and gazing at the lights helped a bit, and as the Christmas cards come in and I display them, that helps too. But I just don't feel the zing - the inner three-year-old nearly wetting her pants with excitement. Well, as they say in the KY ad, "It can't always be a ten," and some years will just BE less wonderful than others. This year, the economy stinks, my mom just passed away, and the rain would melt a sugarplum. What will get me more into the spirit?

1. I can play my favorite Christmas music.
2. I can get to work on wrapping and delivering gifts. Doing for others gets me out of myself. And I can be a little more festive with ribbons and bows and all because I think everyone could use a little special treatment this year.
3. Gingerbread. It will make a nice addition to the cookie boxes, and it will make the house smell warm and homey.
4. It's 12 days till Christmas. That's an exciting thought. I need an Advent calender. I'll make one.

What puts you into the Christmas spirit? What is at the heart of Christmas for you?

6 Comments:

  • At 10:08 AM , Blogger LA said...

    I vote for the Christmas music. I loaded some of my favorites on my ipod, and listen to that while I weave. Also, it's still fun to drive around the neighborhood after dark and look at the Christmas lights.

     
  • At 8:48 PM , Blogger Heide said...

    I'm with LA. Your post encouraged me to embed a Christmas song on my blog for you and others. Christmas doesn't have to be parties and sleighbells to be good. Sometimes a more quiet, solemn holiday is what our soul needs. Pay no attention to the unrealistic hubbub that commercials, movies, etc. try to tell us we need to "feel" the Christmas spirit. Hugs to you! I wish this darned rain would stop though!

     
  • At 9:22 PM , Blogger Rose L said...

    Christmas carolers! I miss them coming to the door.
    I also miss my family as we had big gatherings for the holidays.
    I am goign t try to get in the mood better by putting up a tree I got for $15 and decorating it...if I can get it into the house. Weighs more than expected! Almost killed me when I pulled it off the top of my van! Barey got out of the way in time. When did trees get so heavy???? Now it is in my garage where my car would go and I hope I can get it in the house using the dolly...shall see

     
  • At 5:37 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    I'm not a Christmas person.

     
  • At 6:41 PM , Anonymous Lisa Nowak said...

    You mean there are people who don't listen to Christmas music 24-7 from Black Friday through Christmas? I had to do my last leaf cleanup job today and I thought I was going to go through withdrawals doing without for 6 hours.

    If you're feeling lazy about changing CDs, turn on K103.3. They'll get the job done.

     
  • At 8:23 AM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    Christmas music, definitely. The movie Love Actually (if you haven't seen it, Roxie, this one might do it for you!) Die Hard does the same thing for me... Watching Christmas shows with the kids. Shopping for the kids. (Difficult, because, as you say, the economy sucks, and my personal economy is dodgy this year.) Making stuff and throwing it in the "Christmas present" bag. Baking (Chicken's going to start her baking tomorrow!)

    Little things--like you said. Yesterday I had "Santa Claus is Coming to Town" stuck in my head--it was so pervasive I found I was humming it as I stood at the gas pump. My gas finished pumping, and I looked up and across from me was a woman pumping her own gas, wearing santa earrings, a green and red Christmas sweater--and a big smile for me and my Christmas silliness. That got me into the spirit, no question about it! (spamword: hatime--it's what I get at the movies when i knit hats!)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home