Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Sunday, December 05, 2010

Movoie review

We went to see Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part 1 yesterday. Wish we'd saved our time and money. Part two will naturally have a quick summation of part one that will necessarily leave out the lingering on the bare isolated vistas getting gradually colder and colder which set the mood and tone for the rest of the movie. And the theatre had the airconditioning set to "freezing breeze" so everyone wound up huddled up, chilled to the soul just like Harry. This is winter. I don't need any more depressing crap, thanks. They did have some lovely ink-and-wash illustrations for the tale of three brothers from Beadle the Bard. That was my favorite part of the whole movie.

Then I went to a lovely four-o-clock proper english tea hosted by a friend who is married to a baker. We had treats from Mrs. Beaton's Cookbook - cucumber sandwiches. deviled ham sandwiches, little sausages wrapped in pastry and baked crispy,scones, chocolate cake, lemon cake, seed cake (rich with caraway seeds. YUM!) pistachio cream, and champagne. We were a merry crew! But it gets dark so soon now. The blackness in the windows sort of took the edge off the festivities and we broke up at 6.

We did, however, have Christmas crackers, and I got the perfect riddle for me. Why did the bubblegum cross the road? It was stuck to the chicken.

11 Comments:

  • At 8:31 AM , Blogger Heide said...

    I understand the bubble gum. My husband's favorite answer to "Why did the chicken cross the road?" is "Because he was stapled to the punk rocker's chest." He cracks himself up with this line, but most everyone else just watches him laugh. Now I'll picture that same image with a piece of bubble gum stuck to the chicken's foot.

     
  • At 9:35 AM , Blogger Galad said...

    This Harry Potter is dark and depressing. We thought they did a good job of capturing the sense of despair and isolation but that isn't enjoyable to watch.

    Your tea sounds delightful! A bright spot for a dark time of year.

     
  • At 11:00 AM , Anonymous Lisa Nowak said...

    I like it okay, though I did think it dragged a lot and didn't give a very good explanation of what was going on. I thought someone who hadn't read the book would wonder why they spent so much time hanging out in that tent instead of looking for the horcruxes.

     
  • At 2:30 PM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    We liked the movie quite a bit. I thought it followed the book well (which was dark and depressing). I did enjoy the tale of the three brothers and the artwork for that.

    I look forward to Christmas crackers to have with dinner. It's one Brit tradition I really enjoy. Especially the bad jokes and silly paper hats.

     
  • At 4:33 PM , Blogger sophanne said...

    totally using the bubblegum tomorrow as a form of light entertainment with others! Thanks!

     
  • At 8:20 PM , Blogger Sheeprustler said...

    We call sausages in pastry like that 'pigs in blankets'. And when I say 'we' I actually can't remember if it is an Australian or English term!

     
  • At 7:32 AM , Blogger sophanne said...

    Roxie, How I wish I had your email- your comment on my last post really made my life better for a few hours. Celebrate the light! I can do that if in a small way.

    sophanne
    beckyknitstoo
    blts at windstream dot net

    ps they loved the joke!

     
  • At 10:10 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    Our next big movie will be Tron. We're both really excited and can't wait.

     
  • At 4:05 AM , Blogger Denise said...

    I must admit to not being a Harry Potter fan ... so I haven't seen the movie (and won't). Sorry you had such a chilly time of it!

    Now, the proper afternoon tea - THAT I can appreciate! What a delight it sounds! Married to a baker, oh my! What a dangerous state of affairs ...

     
  • At 7:12 AM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    LOL--'kay-- I LOVED that movie! Loved it! But I get that it was depressing... maybe I was just in the mood for angst:-) (And cold movie theatres... don't get me started. How you gonna knit in the cold?

    Sounds like a lovely tea, really... and now I have two new chicken jokes-- one from you, and one from Louiz!

     
  • At 11:20 AM , Blogger Rose L said...

    Funny chicken joke. Now is that a new way of spelling movie (see your title)????

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home