Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Saturday, December 11, 2010

Fun at the ballet!!

I posted the free tickets on my knitter's e-mail list, and got a taker right away. A friend and her daughter and husband. We met early in the evening at a charming pub I've never been to before, had a delightful dinner, then got to the theatre early enough to watch the parents and their little princesses come in. One of my favorite things is to see the baby ballerinas all decked out to watch the Nutcracker. I noticed that the more festive the little girls look, the more casual the mom's were. "It took me fourty five minutes to get her hair into those french braids, and I don't have time to fuss over myself. Black slacks and sweater will do fine.

One family had three blonde darllings about 9, 7, and 5, all wearing matching dresses with cranberry velvet tops, and huge poofy white skirs with glitter. White tights and white mary jane shoes and cranberry hair bows. there was a wave of "awww" from people asthey walked down the aisle. The littlest had her bow on a headband, and after intermission, she was carried back to her seat, draped over dad's shoulder, fast asleep, wit the bow slid over her eyes like a sleep mask,

And it turned out to be a dress rehersal, which derlighted the four of us no end! I've never been to a dress rehersal and found it fascinating. The director had a headset with a microphone, and as the show went on you could hear him counting and muttering to himself, sometimes singing "La,la,la" along with the music. Twice he stopped things in mid flight, spoke to the conductor, spoke to the dance master, explained how he wanted things done differently, and they would do it over. And you could SEE how the change had improved the effect. But while he was discussing things, the dancers would just be standing around on stage, chatting and stretching and being people instead of ethereal snowflakes or happy candycanes. When they interrupted the Sugarplum Fairy and her Cavelier in mid pas de deux, they sort of pretended to dance the first few bars, gesturing with their hands and just stepping through the moves untill they got to the place where the music and the lift had to connect more perfectly. and WHAM, they were back into character and the magic was on again!

I left as they were re-arranging the curtain calls, so I don't know how long it finally lasted, but oh my gosh I had fun!! DH is the sweetest, most wonderful guy in the world!

7 Comments:

  • At 8:27 AM , Blogger LA said...

    I'm so glad you had a great time. I regret that I never got to see my niece dance in the Nutcracker...she lived in another state at the time. (sigh) But, when she was in college, she came to my kindergarten and did a mini-workshop with the kids using the party scene. It was so much fun! The kids always fought over who got to be the Mouse King!

     
  • At 2:19 PM , Blogger Rose L said...

    Nice to see the little imps, er ah, angels at these events!!
    Sounds like you all enjoyed it.

     
  • At 4:40 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    I keep thinking about that song from Chorus Line... "everything was beautiful at the ballet..."

     
  • At 11:04 PM , Blogger Galad said...

    Nicole is in Phoenix tomorrow to see the Nutcracker. It is a Christmas tradition for our family but the last few years she has gone with a friend. It never stops being a magical experience! Glad you had such a good time

     
  • At 7:27 AM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    I don't want to be famous but am envious of famous people because they get opportunities to see stuff like this often. I remember an article about Princess Diana and she was backstage at the Royal Ballet watching them practice and stage a performance. That made me envious. Your show was cool, getting to see how a director's mind works.

     
  • At 6:54 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    What a fun time.

     
  • At 4:28 AM , Anonymous Benita said...

    I'm glad you had the experience of seeing a dress rehersal. When I was in college, I worked for the community theatre where I went through the entire apprentice, journeyman and became a master lighting technician, all while earning my degree in computer programming. I loved every minute of it from the intitial designs, to hanging the lights, to working everything out, to strike night after the play was done. Thank you for bringing back these memories.

    And those little girls you described sound so cute!!! I can just see the little one asleep with her headband down over her eyes. Awwww!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home