Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Friday, December 17, 2010

stillness

I am opening the office two days this week. Today I am here from 8 till 10 alone. And, since it is between terms, and it's early, I am all alone. All the to-dos are done. No customers on the horizon. After I finish this blog, I'll have to start making up work to keep from gnawing my own arm in boredom. And yet . .

The stillness. The gentle hushhhh of AC which is set for many more people and lots more computer activity. The omnipresent background hum of all these computers turned on and ready for business . . It has a serenity, a peace, a mmm-what? What to call this pleasant enjoyment of not having anything that needs to be done at the moment ? ("Clean the cat boxes" quacks the inner critic, but I have to be here, just in case someone DOES show up, so I can ignore the catboxes at home completely guilt-free.) This feels like a vacation. the stress-muscles across my shoulders are releasing their burdens. The cricks in my neck are unwinding. People will show up and need help soon enough. Why, before I know it, the pre-registration madness will begin, and I'll have entire days when I don't sit down because I'm flying from one customer to the next, setting up placement tests and make-up tests and distance-learning tests and pesticide tests and tax boards, but today, right now, I can sit still and close my eyes a minute and listen to the - relative -silence. Relish while you can, the lull between the storms.

6 Comments:

  • At 9:37 PM , Blogger Rose L said...

    It would be funny if you found a christmas carol online and then set all of the computers to it and made one at a time start playing it....kinda lik a round, if you know what I mean! If you do it, film it!!!!!

     
  • At 7:44 AM , Anonymous Benita said...

    Those moments are why I get to work at 6:30 every morning. I need the peace before the chaos starts.

    And I'm sure you had some knitting with you.

     
  • At 12:03 PM , Blogger LA said...

    Ahhhh...the lull before the storm. At first the silence is overwhelming, and then you start to enjoy the calm. The crazy will return!

     
  • At 4:07 PM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    Like Benita, that's why I go into work early. The calm before the chaos. Enjoy the peace.

     
  • At 5:49 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    A nap in the daytime, when the kids are all elsewhere and the sun is shining? The most ultimate of decadence!

     
  • At 5:37 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    I love early morning when most of the crew isn't in.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home