Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Monday, November 29, 2010

But ya gotta have leftovers


The tree persists in being green, in spite of several days of sub-freezing temps. The leaves cling fast, although a couple of storms have swept through, and snow has fallen, melted and fallen again. (And melted again as you can clearly see.) But this tree clings to decent coverage just like a shy woman going through the airport screening devices. she's just as slow about leafing out in the spring, though, so it evens out.
As we were out on our weekly shopping trip, we ran across a stroke of genius. there was a fresh twenty pound turkey in the butcher's case, which had been split stem to stern on Friday, and was marketed as two half turkeys for sixty cents a pound. We snapped that puppy right up! Half a turkey is brilliant! Fast to cook, small enough for two people to eat, and the price couldn't be beaten with a stick. this way I get a thigh, with a drumstick for later, and DH gets breast, with more breast for sandwiches later, and there is a wing and half the back for soup bones. What is it about left-over roast turkey? Standing barefoot in the kitchen in the middle of the night with cold air falling out of the open fridge while you pick gobbets of meat off the bones . . . It has a certain private wicked magic to it.
We got a tree. I got it decorated. The house smells of noble fir. After DH left for work this morning, I plugged in all the Christmas lights, turned off all the regular lights, and just sat there being happy, happy in the twinkly dark.
And I have just finished the Christmas cards. i think. Every year, someone emerges from the past and I get to add them to the list. But for now, it's all done and ready to mail. Next, making potpourri I think. Or maybe a nice brisk nap. Cats vote for a nap . . .

9 Comments:

  • At 4:54 PM , Blogger Heide said...

    I love the idea of a 1/2 turkey! That is a stroke of brilliance that should be copied. The only thing better than picking cold meat off the bones of the carcass while illuminated by a refrigerator light bulb is sneaking off the skin when the bird has just been taken from a hot oven.

    Your cards are done? Really? That's beyond organized. I bow to your holiday readiness. Big hugs from up here in WA.

     
  • At 5:53 PM , Anonymous Benita said...

    Wow, that is one stubborn tree.

    Your description of how you eat turkey sounds like how we eat chicken. I get the thigh and legs, Scott gets the breast cut up for many sandwiches and the rest goes into the stockpot to cook down for broth for soups, to use in cooking rice and barley, and all that.

    Sometimes I miss decorating a tree, After 20 years of not doing it, it just seems like a hassle now. But I do miss the twinkly lights and sitting in the dark watching them.

     
  • At 5:54 PM , Blogger Willow said...

    Lucky you to be finished with the cards! Ahem...I'm going tonight to buy the rest of them. Tomorrow I hope to get the letter written. I love sending and receiving Christmas cards, just hate the startup process.

    I had dinner elsewhere this Thanksgiving. No leftovers. No worries :)

     
  • At 6:46 PM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    Half turkeys are ingenious! Although my first thought is the half dogs moving on the floor in the movie Return of the Living Dead. creepy.

    Sitting in the dark with the christmas lights is one of the most wonderful things. I always turn off all the lights and sit there in the dark and just stare until the lights all blur together. It brings me peace for some reason.

     
  • At 7:09 PM , Anonymous Lisa Nowak said...

    That tree is unnatural, but it has a lot of company this year. Weird weather. Better luck in 2011.

    I highly commend your early Christmas spirit.

     
  • At 6:10 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    We might set up the tree about a week before Christmas - if we get around to it this year.

     
  • At 6:18 AM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    Oh, Roxie--those happy twinkly lights have worked their magic on your prose--it's beautiful today. Poor, modest tree, resisting the icy grope of winter.

     
  • At 1:43 PM , Anonymous tlbw said...

    As you know we are late-tree people- the usual time is the weekend before the solstice. And we've been going out to a farm past Oxbow Park for a number of years now, to get both our tree and the trees for church. It isn't really a tree farm, rather a wholesale nursery - so the trees haven't been sheared. That is a really big thing for me - I hate sheared trees. Really good prices, and they give me free all of the branches I can carry away. I'm in favor of Grand Fir myself. That's the most evocative smell for me.
    Then of course, the tree usually stays up till St. Knute's Day. What, you don't celebrate St. Knute's Day? That's the octave of Epiphany - Jan. 13 - because the good king Knute (aka Canute) declared there should be no fasting until after the octave of Epiphany. I've heard that is the official end of Christmas in traditional Scandinavia, where Christmas of course begins with St. Lucia - Dec. 13, right?
    Did folks do these things when you were in Dennmark lo these many years ago, Roxie?
    So you can imagine what shape the tree would be in if I put it up right after Thanksgiving...

     
  • At 10:05 PM , Blogger Galad said...

    Half turkey would be perfect but I've never seen one here. Instead I have a small turkey put away for January to celebrate "just because".

    My mother loved to sit in front of the tree in the morning and I share that delight. Tree up this weekend

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home