Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Ya gotta wonder

President Obama came to town yesterday to support the Democratic candidate for Governor of the State of Oregon. Like any other metropolitan area, we are strapped for cash, and the police security for this visit ran into the hundreds of thousands of dollars. Traffic on a major arterial was stalled from three to seven PM. Around ten thousand people stood in line for hours for a chance to squeeze into the convention center just to get a look at the President in the flesh.

There is a - what to call it? Glamour? Fascination? Some kind of power that goes with the office, that makes people disrupt their whole day just to glimpse someone famous at a distance. Add to that, the personal charisma of the individual. I begin to understand why a visit from the President actually DOES help a candidate in an election. It's completely illogical, but then, there is little about politics that IS logical.

President Obama is the most securely guarded president in history. We'll be paying for this visit for quite a while. They ran a decoy motorcade before they let the real one go through. Which was kind of silly because the TV was broadcasting pictures of the President chatting with local dignitaries at the same time as the mock motorcade was enroute. But everyone in that motorcade probably got hazardous duty pay anyhow.

Now I understand why he actually has to be here. It's magic. He could have done a live, closed circuit broadcast from the safety of the oval office for a hell of a lot less money, but it wouldn't have had anywhere near the same effect. One woman, who had been standing on the concrete for hours already, was interviewed about an hour before AirForce One touched down. She said,"I came to see Him when He was campaigning. He touched my hand. There's no way I would miss Him today."(you could clerly hear the capital letters in her voice.)One of the high points of her life was when some guy brushed her fingertips on his way through a crowd. I'm sure she tells everyone she talks to that "President Barak Obama touched my hand." And in doing so, she borrows a shred of his magic to brighten her own life. She feels a bit more specical because he actually touched her.

I begin to appreciate the value of the live appearance. You can go to a live concert and get the magic, or you can watch a video at home, with perfect audio and exquisite close-ups and all the comforts of your own living room. If you are interested in the quality of the entertainment, the video is far superior. But the video lacks the magic.

Man, the kittens of my imagination are going to have a lot of fun unraveling this ball of thought.

10 Comments:

  • At 10:45 AM , Blogger JulieLoves2Knit said...

    Personally I think the drive over the Cascades has much more magic!! Wasn't it beautiful!!

    BTW - last pictures were from Ranch at the Canyons - Terrebonne. But bet Black Butte Ranch is gorgeous too

     
  • At 12:45 PM , Blogger Willow said...

    We are all still monarchists and emperor worshippers at heart.

     
  • At 2:04 PM , Blogger Lucia said...

    It is indeed an interesting phenomenon. Maybe I'm old and dry, but I'd rather watch it on TV.

     
  • At 10:12 PM , Blogger Denise said...

    There is something special about a live appearance, that's for sure. I met our Prime Minster last month when I was in hospital, and got to shake her hand and say a few words, it was SO exciting! I'll always feel a connection with her, even after a 10 second meeting ...

     
  • At 10:37 PM , Blogger Lyssa said...

    I guess they figured that any lone wacko planning something crazy wouldn't be watching the pres on TV on his iPhone at the time...

     
  • At 5:16 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    Any brush with greatness make them great*.

    I don't know which is funnier, I spelled it grate or people think that.

     
  • At 6:47 AM , Blogger Heide said...

    You have no idea what this really cost. Secret service has to send out field agents a month in advance to each place to scout the possible routes and determine which will be safest, alternates, etc. Local authorities are contacted about threats and suspicious people in the area. White communications contacted the Air Guard base countless times to set up communication lines (Brian was called out at odd hours no less than 4 times the week before). But it isn't like Obama can hope on a private jet and wish awah without htese precautions. There are too many nut jobs out there. Back when the Boy Scouts celebrated their 100 year (or some other auspicious number) celebration Obama decided not to attend, citing expenses as a main reason. He was critized to no end for not attending in person. Nothing is ever black or white that can't be complicated and messed up beyond fixing when politics are involved.

     
  • At 7:28 AM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    And my writing dragon is prodding it experimentally with a snout...

    I actually got to see President Reagan in person. My hs band (one of the best in the area at the time) was asked to play for him, and then a whacko parent protested that it was a public school playing for a political rally, but we were all dressed and the busses were booked, so the band director said, "We're going anyway--we've got a first row spot on the green."

    I remember that--I remember seeing him in person, and hearing him speak, and he looked...

    Mortal. Mortal and old.

    Hmmm....

     
  • At 10:54 AM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    I don't understand the hero worship and wouldn't wait outside to see anyone for over an hour (ok, maybe for you, Roxie, but not a celebrity or a political figure). I don't know if it's me and I somehow lack imagination or if it's everyone else who're crazy. What it costs to have the President come to an event just doesn't seem worth it. He's been to Philadelphia a few times in the past couple of months and major roads are shut down for hours (usually during the busy times) making traffic a mess.

     
  • At 2:04 PM , Blogger Rose L said...

    I am glad I live in Oregon City and only travel a few miles to work. I am guilty of idol worship! When Bruce Willis was filming his movie Bandits here in Oregon City 6 miles from my house, I was there every night for a week watching the activity! I am sure he thought I was an old lady stalker! LOL

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home