Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Monday, October 11, 2010

fly-by posting

TW was kind enough to host knitting this month, and it was glorious! Only 5 of us, so a more intimate group. TW makes world class biscotti, and I threw myself on a pile of them. She also made gingersnaps and a yummy rich refrigerator-type cookie that was divine for dipping. Then there was the warm apple coffeecake, and the crisp sweet grapes. TW also makes perfect tea, so I was pretty much in heaven. TW offered to make cucmuber sandwiches or to slice up some melon, but we were such a small group that we didn't even adequately punish the delectables in front of us.

Meanwhile, as I was feasting and conversing, DH was, as ever, on the hunt. He found an estate sale with a collection of chinaware made in Japan.


This set was 1915 vintage, with hand-painted gold trim. I told the ladies running the sale that I had my friends over for tea every month, and if I had a set like that I would, of course, hand wash it and display it with pride. then I offered them two thirds of what they were asking, and they took it because the pretties were going to a good home.



Four cups, four saucers, 6 plates, a creamer, and a chocolate pot with a lid. I don't think the world will stop turning if I put tea in the chocolate pot.









There was also this sweet, solitary white and gold set. Pretty little handle on it.









And this sumptous red and gold cup and saucer that DH bought before I even got home because he knew it would delight me.










He also picked up this chalice object because he recognized the pattern as one I have. I don't know what this is, though. a sorbet dish? A fruit cup?










This sweet little bowl and plate are also hand painted and pre-war Japan (the stamp on the back reads, "Nippon")










WE went back on Sunday when everything under $25 was half price and got a set of six buffet plates and cups for $12. The decoration is decals, but so charming.






He also bought, before I even got home, this perfect, perfect soup bowl.





And for my dinner he made me some perfect, perfect acorn-squash soup! Oh surely I am among the most fortunate of women!
The table is strewn with fabrics, laundry for the folding, and do you see that JoAnn circular with the 50% off coupon? That's gonna get some use today! One comforter is almost pieced, and the other two are raging for their turns. Sew on!!

8 Comments:

  • At 8:25 AM , Blogger Willow said...

    Lots of great finds!

     
  • At 9:36 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    What a score!! I love that they recognized the value of the tea set beyond it's price and allowed it to go to such a worthy new home!

     
  • At 4:55 PM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    Quite the haul. Very, very pretty.

     
  • At 9:15 PM , Blogger Galad said...

    Very nice finds and they will be loved and used in their new home.

     
  • At 4:19 AM , Blogger Janette said...

    Oh pretty, pretty tea sets!

    You are indeed a lucky girl, but then again, you deserve it.

    What posh tea parties you are now going to enjoy. xx

     
  • At 12:54 PM , Anonymous Benita said...

    Yes you are very lucky! What a bunch of sweet cups and saucers!

     
  • At 9:37 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    OH! Gasp! That's wonderful, Roxie! What amazing pretties... and they're going to the BEST home!

     
  • At 5:35 PM , Blogger Alwen said...

    What a haul!

    I don't know what the chalice-thingie is, but the pattern is pretty.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home