Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Thursday, October 14, 2010

It's half past October

The walk I took (with MK) was delightful! It was a perfect autumn day with cool temperatures and bright sunshine and leaves crunching underfoot. We walked down to the house in our neighborhood that does the professional Halloween set-out every year, and I got lots of photos. The camera is around here somewhere, I'm sure. I'm not sure just where, but it'll turn up sooner or later.

The cold mornings are bracing. I walk quite briskly to go get the paper, and Orion peeks out at me between the clouds. No frost on the grass, yet, but definitely breath-steaming cool.

I put in my first day at work yesterday. Wednesday, Thursday and Fridays from noon till 3 for the foreseeable future. Which really isn't all that foreseeable. Want a clue for getting the worst from your people? Announce that there are definitely going to be staff cuts, but no one knows yet where or how deeply the cuts will go. And because we are union, if someone's job is cut and they have seniority, they can bump someone with less seniority, so a job cut at the top of the staff will create a shuffle of bumping all the way down. People shifting from departments where they are happy and comfortable to departments where they know none of the systems and have no idea of the departmental dynamics. Won't that be just great for customer service? As it is, at least as much time is being spent trying to prognosticate the future as is spent actually accomplishing the work.

After taking the best part of the summer off, I had trouble remembering my passwords. A couple have expired. And all the usual procedures have been altered. Heck, they even re-arranged the furniture! So when I turn to grab the paper that has been kept on this shelf for the past three years, the shelf isn't there anymore.

Change is good for the old brain. And I AM trainable! Anyhow, it's great to have a job to complain about again.

11 Comments:

  • At 8:38 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    You're totally trainable!! LOL

    I miss the people that I worked with & even though we stay in touch via FB and I see some of them when I swing in I am looking forward (WAY forward) to going back. But the changes that will have happened over 10 months should be enough to just scare the cancer out of me!!!

     
  • At 12:41 PM , Blogger Lucia said...

    I love your tag line! My job hasn't changed substantially since I took it, yet still I complain.

    (Verification string: phsprees. Before returning home from a phspree, try to get your phstory phstraight.)

     
  • At 1:25 PM , Blogger Rose L said...

    I was hoping all job cuts were over!!

     
  • At 1:56 PM , Anonymous Lisa Nowak said...

    Ack! What a mess. Glad you have a job to go back to, though.

     
  • At 9:21 PM , Blogger Willow said...

    If your job is completely cut (like mine was), you can find one that's more fun (like I did).

     
  • At 4:06 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    Car windows have been covered with condensation, frost isn't that far away.

    Ick.

     
  • At 7:10 AM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    We are having some cold,too, but no frost, yet. I know it's coming.

    I hate when layoffs are announced and then nothing is said. They might as well close down for all the work that is getting done.

     
  • At 11:40 AM , Anonymous Benita said...

    I told Scott the major goal of the garage cleaning for this weekend was to make sure I could pull my car in. I really don not intend to scrape frost before going to work.

    Well, congrats for getting back to work... I think. I know employers think they are giving people a head's up warning about job cuts, but all they create is added stress. Good luck!

     
  • At 4:17 PM , Blogger Denise said...

    Ugh, what a perfectly dreadful way of handling a difficult staffing situation :( It just boggles my mind - surely we KNOW that this is a bad way to handle things, yet it still happens WHY?

    Congrats on the work, though, and keep enjoying your autumn walks (my favourite season)!

     
  • At 7:23 PM , Blogger Galad said...

    Glad you are back to partial employment and hope it doesn't cut in to your quilting and knitting too much :-)

     
  • At 5:35 AM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    Amen on that last part, Roxie-- but yeah... Change IS GOOD for the brain... but hard on the ol' rhythm section.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home