Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Sunday, October 17, 2010

ewwwww

So our new little girl-cat Squirrel was sitting next to me on the sofa and suddenly, with no preliminary heaving, she threw up. In the midst of the detritus was what looked like a four-inch long piece of spaghetti. We haven't had spaghetti for a week. WTF? I picked it up to inspect it more closely and it coiled itself up between my fingertips. Eeeeeeewwww! Roundworms. We've got roundworms. Or rather, the cats have roundworms. If one cat has worms, likely all the cats have worms because roundworms are wildly contagious. So we stopped at the vet, picked up worming medicine for five cats, dosed the troops, cleaned and scoured and bleached all the litterboxes, throwing out the old litter altogether and replacing it with fresh new stuff, and now DH has decided to get a self-flushing litterbox that sanitizes and cleans itself. Hey - boys like toys. We have had three different self-cleaning litterboxes which have failed miserably, but hope springs eternal, and this one has bells and whistles! If this one works, hooray! If it doesn't, no biggie. Other guys buy tools they never use or a new car every other year, or a closet full of Armani suits (or drugs and alcohol, or they blow it all gambling.) If he wants to spend his hard-earned money on self-cleaning litterboxes, I'm tickled to endorse it.

Work is very quiet, but when midterms hit, things should change markedly. It's good time for mindless knitting.

Yesterday was a lovely October day, with sun and crisp temperatures, and blue,blue skies. Our leaves rarely get brilliant, because the rain knocks them down before it gets cold enough for the color to change, but the streets are full of tan crunchiness, and the air has that dark brown smell. I am so grateful for my friends who love October, because it helps me through what might otherwise be the worst month of the year for me. Thank you, thank you, for sharing your autumnal pleasures. What do you like best about October?

7 Comments:

  • At 8:54 AM , Blogger Willow said...

    I hate to say it, dear, but you and DH should probably get a course of meds from the human doctor. You're correct; roundworms are wildly contagious.

     
  • At 10:21 AM , Anonymous Lisa Nowak said...

    Ew! Disgusting!

    This year we don't seem to be getting any fall color. Usually the trees are yellow and red by now. I think it's because the nights were so warm in late September and early October. I miss my fall color!

     
  • At 11:09 AM , Blogger Galad said...

    I haven't had much luck with self cleaning litter boxes either. If you find the perfect one I'd love to hear about it.

    I love October because it is the beginning of the lovely weather in Arizona. We finally start to believe summer is over! I always plan a trip to the Midwest in October so I can enjoy the crisp air, apples from the tree and crunchy leaves!

     
  • At 2:36 PM , Anonymous Benita said...

    Well, too bad about the cats - and what a way to let you know. Ewwww is right!

    Don't you just love crunching though the dried leaves? I love them, the sound, the smell the sites, all of them. I've been known to go out of my way to walk through dried leaves just to hear the sound.

     
  • At 5:33 AM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    icky icky icky icky nasty ewwwie bleahch! (Cause you just can't say it enough!)

    And October--the sky is THE most amazing blue. I tell my kids I love them bigger than sky and deeper than blue, and it's always the October sky I'm thinking about.

     
  • At 6:42 AM , Blogger Heide said...

    You're a better cat mom than me. I don't think I would have ever checked out the spaghetti. The self-cleaning cat boxes sound good, but Bonny looks too big for the ones that I've seen. Can't wait to hear the reviews. Our leaves here are brown and green, with a slight smattering of yellow. No brilliant red or orange so far.

     
  • At 1:17 PM , Blogger Rose L said...

    Yech! That would freak me out!

    Lisa, we have a vew trees on campus wth fall colors! Between Barlow and Community Center.
    I hope you find your camera Roxie!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home