Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

pink biscuit

Another case of tearing strips, sewing them end to end, and letting them fall where they may. I have run out of batting, so I made a biscuit quilt. You layer the front and back with a miscellaneous fabric and leave the seams exposed on one side (So your sewing machine is hammering through six layers of fabric for each seam. ) Here's the seamy side. I still have to clip all the seams into little fringeys and run the whole thing through the wash and dryer to fluff the seams. I used a king-sized sheet on this side to make a double-size quilt.








And here's the strippy side. Pink and more pink. The color doesn't really come through all that well. It's feminine and flowery and pink and lavender.

And there is a lot more of the strips left over. I saw a 50x60 inch fleece blanket at the grocery store for $2.99. I may make a slight investment to use up the end of it all.

With all this sewing, I have managed to reduce the stash by about half an applebox's worth of fabric. That leaves 4 and a half to go. It's the batting problem that holds me back. I COULD make more biscuit quilts, but they're heavier and not as warm. We'll see how the fenzy goes. Benita said she was sending me more fat quarters. I may get re-invigorated.

And this weekend is the annual Eastmoreland Garage Sale. It's a huge, neighborhood wide series of garage sales, in a neighborhood where people redecorate a different room in the house every year whether it needs it or not. These are folks who take up and drop hobbies as easily as you and I go through paperback books. There are a few dedicated quilter among the crew, and lots of dabblers. I got 6 yards of Christmas green cotton for $2 last year. That works out to about 30 cents a yard. It's hard to deny such bargains. And there are always the tea cups and the table linens, a set of king-sized sheets for a dollar (masses of yardage for sewing!), queen-size clothes from ladies who have lost weight, and there's a knitter who occasionally purges her stash ( entire bags of white superwash wool because she decided that afghan would be too boring to knit.) Should we keep an eye out for anything for you?

6 Comments:

  • At 9:02 AM , Anonymous Lisa Nowak said...

    Ooh, I was just thinking about garage sales. One of my customers finds the coolest stuff to use as yard art at them. I don't go to them unless I happen across one on my way somewhere else, but I might try this one. Where is it, exactly?

     
  • At 12:50 PM , Blogger Heide said...

    The garage sale sounds like HEAVEN! I need new furniture, a loom, a car, wool, material, a pottery wheel, legos, and a dog house. The latter is necessary because if I came home with even half of the stuff I listed that's where I'd be sleeping. Love the pink quilt, but not the name. Years ago a friend of mine told a funny story. It was quite lengthy and I won't go into details, but in the end she discovered (and me too through her telling about it) that a "biscuit" is the term used for a white trash "cracker" when he/she is fat. Therefore, "Pink Biscuit" connates images of fat, pink people in a trailer park munching on pork rinds and watching Jerry Springer. Keep in mind that I just described half of my DH's family! Anyway, hope you're enjoying the sunshine and that you find lots of treasures at the garage sale.

     
  • At 2:03 PM , Anonymous Benita said...

    Any dyable yarn in cotton, wool or silk!!! Gosh, I wish I could go to garage sales, but I never seem to have a weekend day free. I'm jealous!

     
  • At 5:41 PM , Blogger Rose L said...

    I love that little quilt! So pretty!!

     
  • At 12:10 PM , Anonymous tlbwest said...

    I'll knit that afghan!
    Does the Eastmoreland sale go on through Sunday? Does it start Friday? It's another big weekend at church (Patronal feastday) so I'll be pretty busy Saturday and till the last coffee cup is washed on Sunday afternoon.

     
  • At 6:40 AM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    Nope, my bargain lionesse-- go ahead and stalk and kill those fabulous finds all by your lonesome! But don't forget to drag your prey back to the internet and show it off for us!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home