Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Monday, June 14, 2010

The calla lillies are in bloom



The untamed, barely controlled weed patch that we jokingly refer to as our front yard is producing right on schedule. Calla lillies obviously survive on complete neglect, because it's been 16 years we have lived here and all we have ever done is appreciate them when they bloom.


The weather has gotten drier and warmer. On Saturday, DH and I parked a mile away from the store that advertised Hood strawberries and walked along a street lined with gracious old homes, which transitioned into charming little boutiques and antique shops. There's a shop that specializes in stockings! SockDreams. Now, if I ever need a pair of thigh-high hose with playing cards printed on them, or a pair of red and white striped hose, or lime-green anklets with fuschia ruffles, I know where to go. Am I too old for orange fishnets?
The walk to and from the store was lovely. OK, DH would much rather have been on his bike, but he was a good sport about it all. the store had sold out of Hoods, so we bought Albions. /they're sweet and tasty, but they're not Hoods. I'm such a strawberry snob. It'll be three or four more days before the Hoods are really ready to eat because the cold and the rain made them watery and blah. But in about three days, I'm gonna feast!
On Sunday, we hiked down to the farmer's market (a mile and a half, all down hill) bought more strawberries, walked over to Sully's and got there just as they were closing. (1 PM on sundays. Now we know.) Then we hiked a mile and a half home - uphill all the way. And DH was carrying a bag full of produce - the hero! It was warm and sunny with a nice breeze. We couldn't have gotten a better day for a walk if we had ordered it from a catalog!
Today - no work. I am on call for the summer. I'm hearing about layoffs and hours being cut all over the campus. So more people are going to community college, and there will be fewer people available to help them. Ah, the fiscal ebb and flow!
So my plans for the day include a little one mile hike to get some exercise, then initiating sewing frenzy. Wish me quilting luck.

7 Comments:

  • At 12:48 PM , Blogger Bobbie Wallace said...

    I love calla lilies; especially the pretty yellow ones - wish I had a spot for some but too much shade for them in the back.

    Hoods are my favorite, but ToolMan loves the Bentons which I think are better for jam. But I certainly wouldn't turn down any strawberry!

    Sent you an email with an opening for test proctor; thought you might be interested.

     
  • At 1:44 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    No one is EVER too old for orange fishnets!!

     
  • At 7:12 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Complete neglect? Are you sure? If so, I should definitely plant some. :)

    Mmm...strawberries. And nothing about fiscal-anything makes any sense to me. Silly economics.

    Good luck!

     
  • At 10:31 PM , Blogger Galad said...

    You are definitely not too old for orange fishnets!

    Your strawberries sound wonderful. We only have grocery store ones that aren't very good :-(

     
  • At 5:06 PM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    Orange fishnets would be wonderful in the spring! They never tell us what kind of strawberries we are buying. They're just Strawberries (which I love).

     
  • At 6:30 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    Fresh strawberries? Those are the best!

     
  • At 7:22 AM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    Now see, in my part of the world, your unweeded neglected jungle just turns brown and dies if you don't do anything to it... (Mmm... strawberries... definitely worth the walk!)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home