Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Sewing frenzy

I have gotten the sewing bug again. Burning through the stash to make blankies for International Medical Teams to deliver to orphanages in Mexico, Africa and Romania.

Really, I don't sew that well, but I have SUCH fun playing with the colors! And I love the thought that I can help keep someone warm.

One side -





and the other.













Everything is always better with a kitty. Fly likes to supervise. Pepper spends most of the day hoping to snatch bobbins, then playing mad games of cat-hockey with them.










And by the way, Here's the other of the two china cabinets I got from TY. Isn't it purty?

There are a series of slots along the front of the center shelf. I thought they were for wine glasses, but they're not big enough. I couldn't figure what in the world they were for. I went to bed puzzling over it and woke up with the answer. They're for spoons!





And I have just enough to fill every slot. My father's mother had 8 silver collector's spoon, engraved with the names of places she had lived or experienced memorable events. I know that she came through Ellis Island when her family imigrated from Norway, so
that explains the spoon from New York. Grandma spent much of her girlhood in Hudson Wisconsin and has a spoon engraved "Hudson". The spoon from Washington would be where she met and married great grandpa. There's a spoon engraved with "Sand Point," and another with "Idaho". Dad was born in Sand Point Idaho. I don't know the connection with Iowa, nor do I know anything about the spoon with the silve teapot on the handle, or the one with the flat bowl. so there are mysteries in my china hutch. (Now I have to keep them polished. How often do you polish YOUR mysteries?)

On Saturday, we'll be attending a potluck party. I'm going to make pasta salad. I love pasta salad, but DH doesn't, and there's no way to make just a little pasta salad. so this is a big deal for me. There's still a few more things to get for the salad. Monday, I walked to the nearby grocery, half a mile there and half a mile home over fairly level ground, to pick up some Italian frozen veggies. Today, I walked to the next nearest grocery store, a mile away, downhill. I picked up a bottle of Italian salad dressing and then-- well, there's a JoAnne's in the same shopping center. And they had fabrics for $1.50 a yard. I wound up carrying $15 worth of fabrics a mile up the hill. Yay me!! (So much for using up the stash. )
Tomorrow, I plan to walk to the store and get some summer squash. Thursday, It's cherry tomatoes. Friday, I'm going to park a mile away from Weight Watchers and walk to and from. Heaven only knows How I'll motivate myself next week.

9 Comments:

  • At 7:34 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    tehehe...cat hockey!

    I'm such a sucker for colorplay. Your quilts look marvelous!

     
  • At 8:42 PM , Blogger Galad said...

    Making a warm blankie for someone in need is a wonderful way to spend your day :-)

    Pasta salad sounds yummy! I love it but Guitar Guy does not. That's why I love potlucks.

     
  • At 8:43 PM , Blogger Willow said...

    I'd like to catch the sewing bug. Just don't have it right now.

     
  • At 6:28 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    Tell Fly & Willie they did a wonderful job on the quilts.

    Good for you on the walking. I've not been as diligent.

     
  • At 8:32 AM , Anonymous Benita said...

    Yes, but for your $15, you got 10 yards to play with. I love the uninhibited qualities to your quilts and they are bound to be appreciated by the people they are to keep warm.

     
  • At 4:55 PM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    Way to go with the walking! Every little bit helps.

    My cats loved it when I sewed. They like the dangling bits.

     
  • At 7:20 AM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    The walking is awesome-- (And how often do YOU polish your mysteries? EXCELLENT LINE!)

    Your china hutches are just so... so ELEGANT AND LOVELY. I adore that you have them and make them beautiful!

     
  • At 9:34 AM , Anonymous Lisa Nowak said...

    Fly is so handsome!

     
  • At 4:25 PM , Blogger Alwen said...

    It's always fun when one of those creation bugs hits. Even more fun with a cat!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home