Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Friday, June 25, 2010


Benita (basicallybenita@blogspot.com) is selling some rovings online, and asked for a few test spinners. Well, I gots nothing but time right now, so I held up my hand. She sent me five different rovings in 1 oz baggies, and I put away all the sewing stuff. (It took me over an hour to get the scraps organized and boxed up. And oh, how the cats hated it.)

So I got out the spinning wheel. I don't know what kind of wheel it is. I got it at an estate sale

and it works just swell.

The first baggie I opened was the darkest - some espresso-colored from a sheep named Ukelele. It was the sheep's name that decided me.

I understand that there is a process called pre-drafting which sort of opens up the rovings. I've never pre-drafted. I just spin off the roving as it sits. And I don't know if I'm doing a z twist or an s twist. I just know that it turns out nice soft yarn and it makes me happpy.

This being "on call" for the summer is - um - it's hard to get myself organized without an externally imposed framework and schedule. I lose track of what day it is. I've started gaining weight (Oh NO!) because I'm close to the food. And when I leave the house, I buy things. Igotta take myself in hand and be a grown-up. Starting Monday.

4 Comments:

  • At 2:20 AM , Anonymous Dave Daniels said...

    I WANT YOUR WHEEL! That's a most gorgeous Norwegian wheel.
    I, too, am helping out The Benita with the spinning. It's been fun.

     
  • At 4:21 PM , Anonymous Benita said...

    I don't know what your wheel is, but it is beautiful! I'd love to sit and give it a spin to see how it works. Somthing tells me it works just fine.

    Thanks for being a test spinner!

     
  • At 5:49 AM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    See-- you spin exactly how I'd spin... I don't know what it would be called, but if it made a yarn I liked, I'd be all for it!

    And yeah... being in the house and not eating is HARD. Tell me if you find the trick to it--I haven't yet!

    Spamword: tin ear. How did they know?

     
  • At 12:12 AM , Blogger Galad said...

    The whole being at home with no structure thing does lead to overeating if one is not careful.

    The wheel is beautiful and almost makes me want to consider spinning. Perhaps one of these days. In the meantime I enjoy watching you :-)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home