Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Saturday, May 01, 2010

the best laid plans

I fully intended to sew with dedication and focus, finish one final quilt, then put everything neatly away and get on with the weekend. Then LG remended me that the guilds' show was this weekend. The potters', weavers', metalworkers', jewelers', fine woodworkers', metalworkers', and beaders' guilds get together and rent several rooms at the convention center for sales and demonstrations. LG's husband has several metal sculptures on offer. So I HAD to go, right? I looked until my eyes were full, and bougth some of Teresa Ruch's wonderful yarn.
Here it is. What, you can't find it in the mess? Oh, the place HAS gotten a bit disorganized during my sewing frenzy, hasn't it? There's Mount Washmore waiting to be folded onthe right and the yarn is there just to the lower left of center. Red, silver, purple and pink. See?
OK, more of a close-up. the silver is tencel. The rest is bamboo. I LOVE her bamboo yarn. Some people complain about the way it stretches and droops, but shouldn't you have kept that in mind when you designed it? Bast fibers have no elasticity. You can not substitute plant materal for wool and expect identical results. But for soft and drapey scarves and shawlettes, you can't beat it. Yummy!

So the quilt is half pieced. I have a quilt batt that is 90' X 108' and I am sewing to match. It feels like sewing a marathon! It does burn through the stash, though. I may even be able to put it all away properly this time, rather than stashing a box of fabric in the garage.



5 Comments:

  • At 9:47 AM , Blogger Willow said...

    Were Dawn and Dianne from Fiberrhythms at the festival? They sell double strand bamboo.

    Shall I tell you that Joanne's has all its solid flannel fabrics half price today? No? I thought not.

    I so very much wanted to purchase that book (and a couple of others) but my pile of books waiting to be read is already so high it is leaning like Pisa and threatening to fall over like a matchstick tower in a wind.

     
  • At 6:39 AM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    The festival sounds wonderful. All those creative people in one place.

    I made a shawl out of Theresa's bamboo. It has such shine and softness and gorgeous drape. I hated to give it away but it was greatly appreciated by the recipient.

     
  • At 5:26 PM , Anonymous Benita said...

    I don't know... Those pictures look like you've been having quite a bit of fun - sort of like (really) diving in and wallowing in fabric, color, textures, etc.

     
  • At 5:27 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    The festival sounds very fun. Glad you got away from the sewing, even if it did leave you behind...

     
  • At 1:21 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    Oh man, go you! And I love bringing my stash out to fondle...erm, I mean to select a new project... let's hear it for inspiration!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home