Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Thursday, April 22, 2010

native flora

I'm pretty sure this is camas - the camas root is edible and formed a dietary staple for the indigenous population.
I looked at this and the first thing that came to mind was "dog-lilly" but heaven only knows what it's really called. TW? Can you help on this one.
Busy week. Tuesday I dressed for work in pink sweater, black skirt, black tights, black shoes, and felt I had pulled myself together quite nicely. Got out of the car and into the natural light and saw that I was wearing navy blue tights. And the college bookstore does not carry panty hose. Evidently, if you are stodgy enough to wear pantyhose, you have the sense to carry a back-up pair.
So I got home, changed at top speed and we went to MJ and RW''s home for a "friend raising" dinner to get us involved with Clackamas Community College's new scholarship fond for families of serving military. We met fascinating people! RW and MJ know some heavy hitters. RW even introduced me to the president of the college. My ultimate boss as it were. I curtsied. (As a part-timer, I am completely off her radar. she was most polite and gracious! ) One gal was wandering around getting photos. RW made me pose nice like a grownup. I CAN act like a grownup when I have to, but the strain was dreadful. they had an awesome buffet set up and I snapped under the pressure and threw myself on the garlic bread and olive tappenade. I also punished the roasted vegetable tray a lot. I wolfed down a clove of elephant garlic about the size of a cat's paw, only to find that it hadn't gotten gompletely roasted. And THAT was such a shock that when the young lady offering wine came buy, I took a glass. And then I attacked the petite fours. The carnage was dreadful. I did not wind up hunkered under the table with the pastry platter, but it was a near thing.
And for some reason, when I got home, I had indegestion. I wound up chewing tums and sitting up in the recliner for several hours, waiting for that garlic to quit asserting itself.
Wednesday, blear-eyed, I took a GED test to the jail. I always dress very warmly when I go there, because usually My fingertips turn blue and my bones get chilled. Wednesday, they had the heat on. I had to get up and walk around to keep from nodding off. There's a world map posted on one wall that I find constantly entertaining. I dream about Islands like the Seychelles. What is life like on the Falklands? Just where IS Kyrgistan? I really ought to subscribe to National Geographic Magazine again. For a while there, it seemed that every time you got a new copy, they were showing you graphic photos of some other creature being hunted int o extinction. I hit my limit for dead elephants, and let the subscription lapse. I'm all for saving the elephants. I just don't want to look at any more dead ones. but I remember fondly the issues that sent photographer and reporter to the ends of the earth and the wonderful stories they told. Yep, time to re-subscrribe.
As you can see, I'm still babbelling tired, and since I have nothing scheduled for today, I think I'll take a nap. No work ethic what-so-ever!

7 Comments:

  • At 11:15 AM , Anonymous Benita said...

    The navy blue tights made me laugh! I finaly broke down and put a full-spectrum light in my closet because I got tired of navy socks and black pants at work. Stupid things look black under incandescent lighting.

    So who's Lulu tormenting... err... visiting now?

     
  • At 1:54 PM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    I'm all for naps, whenever possible.

    My place of employment goes from overly hot to overly cold. There is no happy medium.

    Work ethic? Um, not here at the moment. Call back later.

     
  • At 5:08 PM , Anonymous tlbwest said...

    Sounds like having the wrong color tights might have been the least of your social worries. We know it wasn't that bad...
    Pretty sure you are correct about the camas, tech. Camassia quamash. There were vast quantities of it in the soggy meadows of my ancestral home near the S. Santiam and Calapooya river systems. The Kalapuyans did indeed use the bulbs as a staple food.
    Your memory was close on #2. It's Erythronium dens-canis, aka dog-tooth violet, though it isn't a violet, obviously, or trout-lily, though it isn't a lilium either. It grows from a corm, like a crocus.
    Armchair gardener signing off...

    gingirea: gum disease which has reached the stage of running sores? Yuck! (The passwords do remind me of a word-game we used to play called Fictionary.)

     
  • At 6:01 PM , Blogger Bobbie Wallace said...

    I love NatGeo, too! Used to save all the issues and scoop them up at yard sales. Now, it's all online for free; every issue! They just did it a couple months ago. Not the same as holding it in your hands, though.

     
  • At 5:38 AM , Blogger Heide said...

    Sounds like a perfect outfit. Plain black is so boring. Glad you enjoyed some good grub. Wouldn't it be lovely to be able to throw darts randomly at a world map and just toddle off to where ever they landed?

     
  • At 6:51 AM , Blogger Alwen said...

    My tentative ID of your white lily is Erythronium oregonum, the white fawn lily, sometimes called a trout lily. The Erythronium genus is in the Liliaceae family.

    Beautiful flowers!

    (And there you see my horticulture degree showing ...)

    Your photo closely resembles one I found here:
    http://cowichanvalleyphotos.com/white-fawn-lily-erythronium-oregonum

     
  • At 5:25 AM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    Wow--I hate my own work functions but love Mate's... for some reason, engineers really DO know how to party. Teachers end up in bitter corners, kvetching.

    And I HATE having the heater on too high. I will wear my sweatshirt forever, as long as they keep the temp somewhere defined as 'crisp'.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home