Sanna's Bag

“I never seem to have what I need when I need it. I’m going to make a belt-bag that’s bigger on the inside than on the outside, and just carry everything with me.”

Thursday, August 27, 2009

moving right along

Knitting has occurred. Since I can read and knit simultaneously, if the pattern is simple enough, I did a green silk scarf while reading "Rampant"
It's not really my best color, but the texture is all-season wonderful.



It's more of a red-head's scarf. Any redheads out there want a nice silk scarf? I'm thinking of sewing beads along the edge.




And then, because I can occasionally drop my eyes to count rows, while I'm monitoring people taking their tests, I made myself a pair of ever-so-easy garter stitch gloves.


I got tricky, and knitted the fingers together, rather than knitting the things flat, then seaming them up.

Then I got even MORE clever and left the ends open so I can push them down when I need dexterity, and pull them up when I want warmth. I LOVE these gloves!

Bells was remarking today how her boss discovered that she was a knitter and was flummoxed. And several folks weighed in about how they aren't "Out" yet with their knitting. I don't get this. If there's a stigma about being a knitter, I missed the memo. Is this just because I'm clueless and don't get the non-verbal signals, or is it because some folks are shy and don't want to be noticed or is there something about knitting that is actually wierd and/or shameful?

Several people then weighed in with how bosses had made demeaning comments about their knitting, treating it as a dear-little-ladies sort of thing. If someone has cooking as a hobby, do they conceal that from their co-workers? Do you avoid potlucks because you don't want to out yourself? If you're a gardener, do you keep this shameful secret hidden from your co-workers, and get your seed catalogs delivered in a brown paper wrapper so the neighbors won't find out? What could possibly be wrong with knitting as an interest that someone might want to conceal it? Sure, there are idiots in the world. If it's not your knitting, it's your shoes or the color of your skin or your size or whatever. Idiots can always find something to diminish you. Don't let them. Laugh at them for the narrowminded, insecure wizened little souls they are, andcontinue to enjoy your life.

I'm really on a soapbox here. If it makes you happy and doesn't hurt someone else, do it! wouldn't it be a splendid world if people who loved to sing felt free to sing out loud as they walk to work? If people who love to sew could claim their work with pride? IF dancers could practice a few steps in the grocery line? If we could let go of our own troubles enough to rejoice in someone else's happiness? Why is judgement and criticism so natural and accepted, and simple genuine pleasure so remarkable and rare?

8 Comments:

  • At 10:24 AM , Blogger Willow said...

    Hear! Hear! Go Roxie!

    I think that the boss(es) didn't get the memo that, Hey, hello! Knitting is hip now.

    And even if it weren't, so what? It's fun, it's beautiful, it's useful, and it keeps me from agitation on plane rides. What's not to like? And it's not their business. Thus ends Willow's rant.

     
  • At 3:08 PM , Blogger Rose L said...

    LOL I once had someone tell me that knitting was for old ladies who cannot do much of anything else. I was doing needlepoint at the time and had just had a compliment fromt the young man on the lovely pillow top I was working on.
    I am with you, Roxie--if you enjoy doing it, do it in public (as long as it does not include nudity!! LOL).
    Jump on the bandwagon and play away!!
    Maybe there should be a chorus line of knitters in the next big parade!!!

     
  • At 4:30 PM , Blogger Amy Lane said...

    I am DIGGING those gloves--and since I'm trying to figure out which gloves to make for my friend Wendy, I'm wondering how you got those fingers to work SIDEWAYS. (Was it cast-off/cast-on & seam when you were done?)

    And as for knitting, I don't get it either. I don't understand why my colleagues can grade papers or have conferences during work meetings, but I had to wait for a really decent boss to knit without dirty looks and snide comments! I did it anyway--I'm too ornery to let THAT discourage me!

     
  • At 5:15 PM , Blogger Pat K said...

    Cheers! Woohoo! You rock, girl!

     
  • At 7:35 PM , Blogger Heide said...

    Roxie, I didn't mail your yarn today because I had to work, but it will go out in the morning and you should have it by Monday. How did you make those wonderful gloves? I would love to make some of those... and who said that green isn't your color? It looks lovely with your eyes. Maybe you should just dye your hair red for the days you want to wear it.

     
  • At 3:34 AM , Blogger Saren Johnson said...

    I knit during training - new job (four years ago) - he let me, then quizzed me after lunch. Since I was able to answer all questions with no issues, he let me continue. My current boss doesn't care if I knit. My former boss threw a tizzy fit over it. It all depends on the person.

    Those gloves are AWESOME!! How soon before the pattern is up? =^.^=

     
  • At 5:18 AM , Blogger Donna Lee said...

    I got some grief from coworkers about knitting at work so I just don't do it. Everyone seems fascinated by it but it's the idea that I may not be paying as much attention as some others (yea, like the ones who are asleep) that seems to rankle. It's no big deal. I can knit during my lunch time and sometimes if I'm early for a meeting, I'll sit quietly and get a few rows in but as soon as the mtg starts, I put it away.

    I have noticed that no one seems to mind the handknit baby gifts and things, though.

     
  • At 7:08 AM , Anonymous Benita said...

    It's funny. Around here there are so many knitters that we may out-number the non-knitters. I kid you not! I run into knitters everywhere, and if they don't knit, they either know a knitter or want to become a knitter.

    Now mention that you spin your own yarn, and people give you a cock-eyed look and sloooowly back away. Okay, spinning must be weird.

    But when I mention that I weave, I always get the same reaction - "Cool!"

    So, here in central Indiana, knitting is normal, spinning is weird and weaving is cool! I love where I live!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home